Capodimonte Vegetable Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mungo, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Mungo

Mungo Active Member

$10 thrift store find, yay.

I'm still pretty new with antiques and pottery but I learned pretty early to be able to spot a capodimonte mark from a mile away. I'm only familiar with the figurines thus far though. I had no idea they made serving dishes.

So what is this thing? It seems kind of... domestically mundane? I've come across the term "majolica" recently and now I'm even more confused. Is it earthenware? porcelain? majolica? Should I just call it a "ceramic vegetable bowl"? There is a break in the piece that gives a clear view of clay its made of, i've included that picture. Any help figuring out what this thing is?

bowl.jpg 20190330_111653.jpg break.jpg

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Others who know what is correct will come along, but I know that it would get called majolica on eBay. I love it. Size?

Is everything on the top a seasoning? I see garlic & chili pepper. What else is there?

i need help likes this.
  3. Mungo

Mungo Active Member

it looks like chilis, garlic, large green onion, tomato, turnip, radish, tomato.

Unfotunately it also looks like I've been had. I found another of this series on ebay and it had a foil "original anart creation japan" sticker on it. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Elegant-Vtg...-Vegetable-Green-Canister-Italy-/302958637125
    Upon doing a little more digging I found this: https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/related/usa/newyork-04/index.php
    At the bottom of the page you can see they have their own N crown logo they made for themselves(??) apparently.

There is another alternative, however. Apparently much of the stuff they simply imported and sold as private label or something. I guess its possible this is actual Capri, Italy capodimonte product imported by anart and sold as private label?

I'm not sure it even matters, I'm guessing its probably just some 1950-1970 junque product. *Sigh*

Bronwen, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But calling it either "majolica" or "Capodimonte" would be incorrect. This is a 20th century (late) vegetable bowl, apparently made in Capri, Italy by some company playing fast and loose with the use of the mark (which by the way is not registered and can used by anyone.)

The "real Capodimonte" hasn't made anything since the late 1700s.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found that listing (and probably others) @Mungo A $10 education will serve you well in the future.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Mungo

Mungo Active Member

Definitely got the wrong impression very early in the game about Capodimonte. Me and a buddy found a cache of Giuseppe Cappe figurines and made a bundle of money, and we just assumed that he was an artist that worked for "capodimonte" company, and that capodimonte stuff is just all really expensive. I guess this explains why all those flower sets are complete useless crap.
    Consider me enlightened.

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It doesn't really say it was made in Italy, just the word Capri which could be a pattern.

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Made in Japan is also a possibility. That blue stamp and numbers make think possibly Japanese.

i need help likes this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I have to cast another vote for a Japanese origin. In general I avoid anything marked either Capodimonte or with the N crown mark. It always leads to heartbreak for me.
    Don

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

047BE36F-D209-46F2-9880-042D4580FD6B.jpeg 4CF9EE9D-DA66-4114-9786-F331031CCDEF.jpeg The one in the link has the Arnart sticker.

kentworld, dgbjwc and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted