Capodimonte vs Creamware?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Oct 31, 2016.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone - I've been busy lately and haven't had time to post. Miss you :)

I've looked around for reticulated porcelain objects, and this looks to me more like creamware, possibly British?

It's about 5" tall and 6" wide... Thanks! Hope to learn something, today :)

20161031_125955.jpg 20161031_130004.jpg 20161031_130016.jpg 20161031_130023.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well, I would have guessed Portuguese pottery.

scoutshouse and say_it_slowly like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'd say not creamware.

I think you've got something that looks quite white and heavily made much more like Italian or Portuguese style but I don't know what it is.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

Thanks SIS and Cluttered - it's actually very light with a nice "ping" and creamier greyish (light here is very bad) tint to the glaze on the bottom piece. The top piece is flat white.

It just give me an old vibe. Can you divine anything from the bottom?

I started looking for Capodimonte, but this is what made me think creamware - which I know nothing about.

English Creamware Reticulated Basket & Matching Undertray, c. 1820
    Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 7.28.00 PM.png
    plain-creamware-pottery-basket-and-stand-shorthose
    Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 7.27.52 PM.png

Which can see is really creamy!

Thanks again - feel free to comment any old way :)

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's the fruit on top, and the way it is marked that makes me think other than English. Again, I am only guessing.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

Yes, the lemon made me think Italian, for sure, Cluttered. The weight of it, the citrus pattern under the lemon and the cut shapes were what made my wonder if possible older.

But it's more fun when I assume something's pedestrian, then start wondering if it's not ??? something else... or maybe not :)

I saw a documentary on *I think* Capodimonte woven ceramics - it made me start thinking of Crapodimonte differently. Can't quite remember, but it was about the history of the studio/dynasty and the fabrication of that type of ceramics. Wish I could remember where I saw that... :(

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be fairly sure it's Italian. Not English creamware, anyhow.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

I wasn't very successful photographing them, but the main reason I wondered about wheel cut was because of the oval "cuts" along the top - they're not uniform, at all. But it has no ring and is glass. Would they have added them later?? (?)

9. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

When you ask if the piece is Capodimonte I'm assuming you mean to ask whether the item is porcelain or creamware. It is not porcelain. I believe it is probably Creamware. Is it Italian or English? That is difficult to answer. I believe it is most likely Italian but the origins have a tendency to blur. For example the actual clay was probably produced in England as Creamware clay (known as Terraglia in Italy) was exported to Italy. In the 19th century the English clay was considered the finest of its type available. The English latticework ceramics were considered superior in design and execution during the 1800's. It had a delicacy and artistry that, in my opinion, Italian works lacked. I believe that, based on the lack of markings and style , this example is mid 19th century.

scoutshouse and Figtree3 like this.
  10. scoutshouse

Thanks, Walter

That's helpful... What is your opinion (not clear to me) on the design of this piece? Italian or English?

I was caught by the combination of spikes and curves that give a Gothic feeling, but doesn't necessarily indicate either. My eye can't settle on one or the other and I was unable to find a good comparable...

Sorry, guys - this was posted on the wrong thread:

11. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Italian. Probably from Bassano or Nove, near Venice.

scoutshouse and Figtree3 like this.
  12. scoutshouse

Just reading the other thread you replied on, Walter :)

Realized i never "liked"

Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted