Featured Car boot, car boot!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Some randomness for your amusement, including nice Marsh Arab work. Brooch is odd. P1160619 small.JPG P1160625 small.JPG P1160618 small.JPG P1160479 small.JPG P1160620 small.JPG P1160617 small.JPG P1160497 small.JPG P1160624 small.JPG P1160496 small.JPG P1160549 small.JPG

Xristina, judy, KSW and 12 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice! Are the two marked 1000 actual pure silver or are they plated? and what's that orange and black thingie?

judy and KSW like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe the '1000' silver pendant and brooch are most likely Greek...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Pure silver, bless their little marshy hearts. Orange and black is a carved bangle. It's more uniform in colour than the photo looks.

Cheryl, I don't think Greek, it's a mosque and an Egyptian galleon. They're pretty typical of other stuff I have.

judy and KSW like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

upload_2021-10-18_4-33-47.jpeg
    the 1000 mark could be old French millesimes (also used in Egypt, Malta).

judy and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I love the surprises a car boot throws up! You never know what you are going to find.
    I’m not usually a fan of wire wrapped jewellery but that opalescent tree is beautifully done and lovely quality.
    I like the brooch with the figure. Do you know who it represents? Is that enamel or paint?

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Fid, Egypt marsh is my thought.

Kate, I know what you mean about wire wrapped, this got me for the glass and the rose gold colour. I've just realised there's a name under the FIORE on the brooch! It's enamel. She's the goddess of flowers.

KSW likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The '1000' stamp is fairly common on Greek silver, not something I'd expect to see on Marsh Arab silver, nor is the work what I'd expect. The boat is something I see quite a bit since I collect Viking ship brooches, spoons, etc. (surprising what folks will describe as 'Viking') - sometimes with an added 'Corfu', can't say what the scene on your brooch is, but have seen very similar Greek pieces.

Symbolic Phaeacian rudderless boat:

greekcorfuboat-composite.jpg

This piece is stamped '800 MADE IN GREECE':

https://www.etsy.com/listing/103734...greek-ship-marcasite?ref=lp_recently_viewed-6
    greeksilverbrooch-800handmadeingreece.JPG

This piece depicts the Parthenon, stamped '1000':

https://www.etsy.com/listing/108934...l-engraved-parthenon?ref=lp_recently_viewed-3
    greeksilverbrooch-1000parthenon.JPG

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and KSW like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the Phoenicians were everyhere along the southern coast of the Mediterrean with their typical galleys.
    the Charles Pillet art nouveau medal with the enamel collar is outstanding.

KSW likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Cheryl, I've earrings which match that Parthenon.

Fid, isn't it nice? I do think the pin back is later, a replacement perhaps.

Fid and KSW like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Totally forgot about this thread after my initial 'like' hit and run.:sorry:

I agree with Cheryl, those are not Marsh Arab. Marsh Arabs live in Iraq and Iran, btw, not in Egypt.
    I have a double-sided Greek gold pendant with a similar ship and a dolphin on one side, the Parthenon on the other, and a Greek key border. My mother bought it in Athens. She always wore it with the ship facing, she loved dolphins and thought the Parthenon side too touristy anyway.:playful:

There are still plenty of Ottoman period mosques in Greece. The tower of the one on your brooch reminds me of the Suleiman mosque on Rhodes, now a museum, but it is a style that is seen with other Greek mosques too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    KSW likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

I knew the Iraq/Iran thing, and their niello type stuff. When I was in Egypt, I bought some silver with gold plaque jewellery and the shop described it as Egyptian Marsh Arab. Go figure.

I'm not entirely convinced these two are Greek, but hey. I need to find photos, but I've some similar things which have the pyramids on. ;)

13. Ownedbybear

Aha.

Can't find the pyramids bracelet images, but here's some other bits. Including the Parthenon earrings.

175A.jpg 175B.jpg ER3.jpg ER2.jpg 69B.jpg 69A.jpg

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted