Featured Carboot Bits and Pieces: Brooches

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Aug 30, 2022.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Final post I promise! :hilarious:

But these brooches have many questions to be answered and I want to share my pretties/make sure I'm barking up the right tree.

This little hat pin. Very cute, but zero marks that I can see. When I looked this up I immediately came up with an identical piece marked 'BH' on the end of the ribbon. Is this a knockoff or whats going on? Evelyb suggested its possible this is Mary Engelbreit?
    Hat Pin.jpg

I wasn't going to post this, but it looks a little aged so anything I'm missing before I move it on?
    Wings Brooch Collage.png

This pin is confusing me. I see this sort of design on everything as well as brooches in my area of France, but any searches brings up Russian origins? Also, unsure if Br is anything interesting. Not my style so may move on as well but I was curious.
    Black Laquer Brooch Collage.png

I was going to ask about the date of the clasp of this. Trombone was popular in the 40s but were used well after that so a tad stumped? Evely and AJ did provide some insight with the Toledo Damascene. Does the back seem a bit 'clean' for something earlier than say 50/60s? Also, the rose almost looks stamped on top like its not original, and a quick search reveals no similar pins....?

Spanish Fan Pin.png

This is the piece Evely suggested might be paste. It is stamped 900 silver but can anyone make out the mark? It just looks like two fingers to me :hilarious:
    900 winged heart collage.png

Misc Bits

Diamond Scarf Pin
    No marks, no nothing. Diamonds do look a tad yellow though, dirty diamonds or old paste etc?

Diamond Scarf Pin Collage.png

Close up of the glass necklace, Czech as per Evely? I didn't like it at first but its growing on me!

Black Glass Necklace.png

Airforce Cufflink/Button? Thats all I can get out of it, no idea if its even vintage lol. Also does the other thing belong to it? Same gold tone, but doesn't seem to connect.
    Cuff Link Collage.png

Phew! That's everything now :hilarious: Apologies for a bit of spam and rather long posts, its been ages since I've had anything worthy of the forum! Theres a ton of other bits in the pile but as far as I can gather nothing better than pretty. I am mad about one necklace though, the front doesn't seem to match the back in terms of quality! Back is peeling everywhere :confused:

Thank you all for humoring me!

bercrystal, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

On the Damascene piece is the rose raised above the surface of the Damascene?Never mind I looked it up and many were enameled like yours. https://www.etsy.com/listing/886297845/damascene-spanish-fan-brooch-floral

RachelW likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

4. RachelW

Oh well goodness there it is! Thanks so much Holly.

Im seeing some of those examples described as gold or silver, even without marks?

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nah, not gold or silver, but a nice example. I'd think sixties.

Those gilt angel wings are 20s ish.

Round painted brooch is absolutely Russian. Br is the painter. In Cyrillic.

900 one is nice old paste in silver. Good find. Might be French, can you show the whole back?

Round diamante thing is seventies ish.

Black necklace is Czech French jet.

The Air Force thing and the other one are bachelor buttons.

RachelW likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In the last pic, the larger button has an anchor on it - I would suggest navy rather than air force. Or did I misinterpret the reference?

7. Hollyblue

The gold design on the front is either 22K or 24K gold foil.People say the design is inlaid,but it is an overlay and many have no idea how the damascus is made.The back is probably base metal and could be plated.

A piece I made years ago at Revere Academy Japanese damascene.
    nunome.jpg nunome butterfly.jpg

RachelW likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

RE: the button

In the USA a castle indicates the Corps of Engineers - US Arrmy.

9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bingo! I have to wonder if it's a WWI sweetheart brooch of some kind. The design looks a little/lot early for WWII.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Bronwen likes this.
  12. kyratango

The firm went no further than 1908.
    Still to find out why:arghh:

Bronwen likes this.
  13. komokwa

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  14. RachelW

Oh goodness well that is a surprise! What a nice thing to have in with the rest of it. If the company stopped producing in 1908 then we're talking turn of the century. Looks like I have much to learn :hilarious:

Here is the back of it!
    900 winged heart collage (1).png

By the by what a gorgeous collection you have Kyratango!

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  15. kyratango

Merci!:happy:

RachelW likes this.
  16. RachelW

I too thought the Navy, but a search of 'armfields b'ham' brings up WWII British Airforce Buttons like these: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ww2-raf-button-armfield-ham-480285283

Mine have very different fronts though, I don't know if there were different patterns over the years?

If indeed US, what on earth is it doing in rural France haha. Would be interesting to look into!

17. komokwa

didn't some US boys, march across rural France ?

wlwhittier, RachelW and kyratango like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes they did - at least twice. But I sincerely doubt that the US government would have bought uniform buttons in another country. There would have been plenty of US makers anxious to provide.

RachelW likes this.
  19. RachelW

They did indeed! I'm trying to find some similar ones to compare. Its proving tricky though, there is no image I can find that matches either front or back exactly, either US or UK. The only thing I found at all similar was the logo for a Royal Navy ship the Pembroke. But its not at all right even then lol.
    [​IMG]

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Air Force. Gah. Brain fart, it's a fouled anchor. Senior Service and all that. I'll have a think.

RachelW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted