Carboot Bits and Pieces: Earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Aug 29, 2022.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

So! Earrings, I did some research and loved what I found, but on some pieces I still have questions for you lovely folks!

Blue and Silver clip earrings, marked Japan. My research suggests these to be from around the 50s? In good condition, might have to take these out for a spin sometime!

Japanese Blue Collage.png

Very similar to the blue, could these possibly be uranium glass? The shade of green reminds me of glass I've seen before but no idea. They don't seem to clink like glass. I think its marked Japan but its very faded on both pieces. Similar sets point to these also being 50s.
    Japan Green White Collage.png

Now THESE intrigue me. Very pretty, the colors reminded me of the 50s, but the Germany mark makes these pre-1949? Is that all the info I can get out of these or is there something else to be gleaned by more experienced eyes?

Germany Pink Green Collage.png

Also question concerning another pair I've not pictured (the tiny bells in the other thread), the clip itself is marked 'patented' but nothing else. I read these are most likely nothing to do with the earring itself and that they were made with generic clips, is this the case?

Thank you for having a little look, I'm so glad I have something to share again!

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes. When jewellery has some kind of mechanism, like a clip or clasp, & a patent is indicated on that piece, it generally applies only to that piece, not the entire item.

The bead cluster clip earrings remind me of things my grandmother had. Doubt she acquired much of anything after the 50s.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These were still made well into the 60s, but a lot were 50s. You could try a blacklight on all of them and see if anything lights up. Can't hurt and you might get lucky.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think those are all late fifties into early sixties from the styles. As to the ones marked Germany, that did happen with West German stuff sometimes.

6. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Thank you! Wore them today and didn't lose them so thats a plus :p

Ill see if my dad has one somewhere I can borrow, don't have one myself but wouldn't hurt to try!

They're fabulous aren't they! Such fun colors, just picked up a shirt that goes with the pink and green.

Oh drat I thought I was being clever :hilarious: Thank you for the info Owned, still very interesting. I've been wanting to try sorting through bags like this for a while and so happy its turned out quite well!

Bronwen and Ownedbybear like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think you got a nice wee haul.

RachelW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted