Care for antique wood table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Elizabeth Lode, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Elizabeth Lode

Elizabeth Lode New Member

We have an antique wood table (parquet top) that is drying out. What can I use to restore it? Boiled linseed oil? Teak oil? Please advise. Hope the photo shows the table well enough.
    Thank you!!
    Elizabeth

Attached Files:

2. Elizabeth Lode

Forgot to add the appearance of the table with extensions - note how much darker the extended piece is because it never gets used or cleaned (with windex and alcohol mixed in - I know, not advisable!!! I won't do it anymore!!)

Attached Files:

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, Elizabeth! I'm not a major furniture person, but I do think that linseed oil (boiled or otherwise) may not be your best bet based on comments I have seen here. Best to call in those more experienced. @verybrad @Ghopper1924

i need help likes this.
  4. Elizabeth Lode

Thank you - I will wait and see if those you linked reply and advise.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Elizabeth:

I would try Howard's Restore-A-Finish and Howard's Feed n' Wax. You can't go wrong with Howard's (and no, they didn't pay me to say that.....).

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious:

Elizabeth Lode and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Wax it never use oil

Elizabeth Lode and Bakersgma like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It looks like it could be a shellac based finish.

Elizabeth Lode likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Howard's should do the job but you may need something more durable. A tung oil varnish would be that option. They are not incompatible. You might try the Howard's first. Just make sure it is completely dry if you decide to go over it with the tung oil varnish. Never hurts to use paste wax once done and periodically afterwards.

Elizabeth Lode and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agreed, good stuff, basically flood area, let sit for a few mins, wipe/buff off excess.
    It's really a wiping varnish, almost impossible to mess up, the only downside is it's a very thin finish so often requires many coats to get the "build" desired.

Elizabeth Lode and verybrad like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pure beeswax.

Elizabeth Lode likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted