Featured Carrier-Belleuse Sculpture, Minton Marks?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jessica789;0, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

Hi I'm looking to sell a Carrier-Belleuse sculpture (14.5") titled "Vestal Virgin" and I'm wondering if anybody wouldbe able to please let me know what some of these Minton marks mean so I can write a better description? I know 2 of them but not the rest. The Arrow with 3 dots below I believe is the mark for 1845-1850 and the 328 is the shape number.

Given that Belleuse only started working for Minton in 1850 and the arrow dots mark for 1845-1850, I presume the piece is dated 1850. I thought one of the other marks may be a date mark and perhaps a month mark even but having checked the date mark for 1850 it should be a 3-leafed clover shape and that's not on it. So now I'm wondering what these other marks mean, if anybody is an expert on Minton and can help?

If anybody has a rough idea of it's value and perhaps where best to sell such a piece that would be very helpful too. I'm concerned it may not sell too well at auction given the damage to the basket area, right now I'm just putting it up on eBay but that's probably not the best place. Thanks.

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg

2. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

Edit: That circle mark with a line through it under the number 328 may be the date code for 1856. Your item is shown on page 76 of Parian Phenomenon indicating a date of 1856.

One image on the internet states the arrow mark was used until 1860...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  3. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

Ah I can see that after searching again, that must be more accurate than the other chart I had seen. Thanks.

So at least that explains the mark. Perhaps another one is a month mark then after-all and then an artist mark or something or maybe even a day mark?

Cheers.

judy likes this.
  4. JB Miller

Sorry, I was editing my post as you posted. I think your item is from 1856.

judy and Jessica789;0 like this.
  5. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

I can see the date mark for 1856 from images is a circle and line which is similar to the mark below the 328 except the line goes all the way to the middle, this also looks more like a typical kind of date mark. However wikipedia is saying that Belleuse left Minton in 1855.

Could perhaps the 3 dots in a triangle at the very top more likely be a date mark, and for 1851.

judy likes this.
  6. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

Ah I see you edited your post more to reference a book Parian Phenomenon. However would that mean that Wikipedia is wrong on when Belleuse left Minton?

Edit: Another article I read states he opened a workshop in 1855 in France. Perhaps the author of that book was confusing by the same circle and line mark?

judy likes this.
  7. JB Miller

I guess it's safe to say it was made "in the 1850's." I think with a piece like this that you're going to sell the main thing people look at is the subject matter, the condition, and the maker. You know it was made by Minton. Whether it's 1851 or 1856 likely won't matter.

8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Beautiful piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted