Cartier Watch case fake

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 15, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m sure this is a fake- downhill writing looks punched, poorly cast inside.
    But.......it tests as 14ct?
    Can’t see any wear to a base metal and heavy for its size. Had a rough life too as it looks like it’s had the strap pulled off.
    It’s also tiny. OH said it looks like a toy as it’s only 1cm top to bottom.
    So before I file a hole in it to see if it’s plated does anyone have any thoughts.
    It doesn’t owe me anything - I can’t even remember where it came from but it’s not adding up. Surely a faker wouldn’t use 14ct gold?
    Admittedly my gold testing is basic but I’d love to know your thoughts.
    F7174C76-3AB8-486C-947F-B6894E82993A.jpeg 81D3E571-CAD6-4A34-80B5-A16E06A2A815.jpeg F6BD625B-5F47-45BA-A360-1EB1EE74FF4D.jpeg F0F743F8-7F81-45D4-BEA0-1ED425F524CD.jpeg AC223069-EE12-4CD5-970E-7A18D4B18D58.jpeg 9472FEAF-4B27-484C-B535-D1D46EB8BAA8.jpeg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry I tried to enlarge the photos and they've gone out of focus. If need be I'll get some more with OHs snazzy camera.

kyratango likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right. Does look counterfeit. The brand used that C logo on the less expensive Le Must de Cartier line that launched in 1976. Here's a vintage Le Must watch and you can see the type of information on case back. (Note case is vermeil.) Regardless of age, it should at least carry a serial number. I can't think of any value beyond scrap (if gold.)

Debra

Cartier Les Must De Vermeil Quartz Vintage Tri-Color Dial Ladies Watch w Papers_3.jpg

Any Jewelry, KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It might be heavy gold plating, it looks poor quality.
    Have you tried a magnet?

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Not magnetic.

i need help likes this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s what’s confusing.
    If it’s only scrap I’m happy to file a hole to be sure but I didn’t want to do so without input from the Wise Ones.

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Get the file out. In the unlikely event it was real it would still be scrap.

judy, terry5732 and Debora like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thats the definitive answer I was after. Thankyou. I will file and report back.

judy likes this.
  9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I would wonder if there is a watch collector that would be interested in it as a fake. Not for much more than the gold value probably but you never know. There are people that collect older fakes/counterfeits of coins. There might be that one collector that’s interested in well made (at least in material in this case) fakes of antique/vintage luxury watches. Wouldn’t hurt to throw it up as that before scrapping and try.

Hope it’s gold!

Xristina and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted