CARVED BAKELITE BRACELET?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tricia Harr, May 2, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

hi again all, I don't have 409 or scrubbing bubbles, I held it under hot water, it had a funny smell.. I wiped inside with quip, maybe just dirty? any ideas? I thought it was wood the carved part looks like wood, but it's definitely plastic.. your thoughts?
    tia 2019-05-02-23-37-49.jpg 2019-05-02-23-38-17.jpg 2019-05-02-23-38-02.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Wash it with soap and water to get the dirt off then test it with a pink silver polish (I use Simichrome) on a Q-Tip, a positive will be a more yellow brown. If you don't have silver polish some say baking soda gives a result, but I have never used it.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hope you don’t mind if I hijack the thread for a moment but does this look like a positive for Bakelite?. That’s using pink silver polish (thanks for that tip, hope I used the right stuff!)I washed them first as I did the hot water test and they did give off an odd smell.
    82626D8D-721C-4649-85C2-922E8A1DDB58.jpeg

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Marie Forjan please can I give you a nudge to look at my photo above for your opinion?:pompous:
    Thank you :kiss:

5. Marie Forjan

It is confusing, the brown in the center is not good, but the more yellow color around it looks promising. Are you sure you cleaned them well?

judy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That looks like nicotine. I'd try cleaning a bead and trying again. The baking soda test might help on both the OP's almost 100% sure bakelite and the yellow necklace. Dampen a q-tip and dip in the baking soda. Rub hard inside something, or on the outside of a bead. After rubbing a bit, hold it up to your nose while still rubbing. If you get formaldehyde stench, you're in. If the q-tip turns yellow, that's a positive too. With the black, a clunk test is in order too - click it against a known bakelite bangle. If it "clunks", you're in business. The black stuff is notoriously hard to test chemically.

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

wish I could send to you to test, I have a few things.. and being i never tested b4, I'm not sure of myself.. lol

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've used both the silver polish and the baking soda, but never the 409 or Simichrome. Your first testing tools are your eyes, ears and nose. Find a known piece and try that first, and then you'll know what to smell for.

9. Marie Forjan

@KSW this test was on a Bakelite button, notice the yellowish color, like the outside edge of your test Q-Tip:

2BakltSTShnkBtnsFtTst.jpg

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just about all the vintage 1950 and earlier telephones here in the USA were bakelite. Black usually does not show positive results with the Q-tips and a a lot of the red also.
    greg

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A lot of stove knobs are black Bakelite too.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll try again . Maybe that was dirt that I thought I'd washed off!. That really helps to know what to look for. Thankyou.

Draft saved Draft deleted