Featured Carved box - tourist souvenir? - anyone recognize the initials on the bottom?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bercrystal, Jul 22, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I need a little help with this small carved box. Would the figure on the lid be a hawk or an eagle?

It is 5 5/8" by 3 1/2" across & is 2 1/2" to the top.

It has the initials DC? impressed into the bottom.

What kind of wood is this made from & does the color come from a stain?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. bercrystal

Thank you so much once again!!! :kiss::kiss::D:D:D

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My parents had one as well, but I only kept a few of their Maori items. Not the box, which was very nicely carved, even better than the one in the photo inh posted.

Best not include 'feather' in you listing. Maori feather boxes are long for feather (and jade) storage, like this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    komokwa, pearlsnblume, Taupou and 2 others like this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a Maori design, but definitely not a feather box. (And no, not an owl or eagle face.) And yes, it would be considered a tourist souvenir box.

Many of these are made at the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Centre (Te Puia), in Rotorua, which offers a wide range of classes, including community-based courses, night-classes, and full-time, three-year courses in traditional Maori arts and crafts.

Over its 170 year history, Te Puia has trained thousands of students, so the quality of individual pieces can vary widely. The sale of wood carvings has traditionally helped support the institution itself, but has also resulted in many talented woodworkers starting their own businesses.

I'd definitely recommend a visit to Te Puia, if visiting the Rotorua. They also have a website that gives accurate information about New Zealand arts and crafts.

Figtree3, Houseful, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I've went there in the early 70s, on holiday from Australia, where I lived at the time. It was wonderful to see the demonstrations and workshops.
    I bought some carved jade, some taaniko weavings and a pair of raupo poi, which I could work with at the time.

Taupou and komokwa like this.
  8. bercrystal

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted