Featured Carved Bull, anyone identify the stone type?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Nov 4, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

This might seem obvious to some people but to me I’m lost. Does anybody know what type of stone this is. It is 9 1/2 inches long. Thank you as always

944DAB17-48B4-41E2-878E-055D67DA6DCD.jpeg 10DC599F-E2FE-4631-BBE2-436031D29234.jpeg ED48EE02-6475-4DE9-8D88-9D3F13923FA8.jpeg EB61BA07-1BBF-4E41-99C5-A71B89E6A6C9.jpeg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it's onyx. Try looking at Mexican onyx bulls and see what you think.

mmarco102, judy, Diggummup and 8 others like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Iron stained/dyed Mexican onyx/travertine.

mmarco102, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup......and yup !!!

5. mmarco102

BINGO! my God, those other ones are Bullcrap. ;)

Thanks all. I kew this was going to be an easy one. Saw one or two before posting, but didnt see any of them having as complex pattern as this one, so I wasnt sure. I appreciate your time.

6. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

what about agate stone?the pattern on the top looks like agate :angelic:

585487c0e9e47.jpg

mmarco102 and judy like this.
  7. mmarco102

Ahhhh! Thank you very much for bringing that up. I found other samples online of agate, as I did not see any Mexican Onxy Bull’s as colorful as mine. But did find a all white onxy(maybe) damaged, Bull that was the exact replica, leading me to think they were made from the same stone. The translucent area in the white Bull seems only to be in the thinner tail and not in the main body as my Bull. This also had me thinking agate.

Quoted from website: “Agate and onyx are similar because they are both quartz stones, and they are both from the chalcedony family.
    Both agate and onyx can have bands. Agate is considered the banded variety of chalcedony. It has circular bands, whereas the bands found on onyx are more or less straight and parallel.”

It was those circular rings on the left side of my Bull that had me thinking. There doesnt seem to be much difference in the two stones otherwise, but that could be my ignorance on the subject speaking.

Again, thank you for bringing it up :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANIMAL-HAND-CARVED-BULL-OFF-WHITE-ONYX-STONE-MARBLE-SCULPTURE-VINTAGE-/221757530331?roken=cUgayN&nma=true&si=jQeBonJI1%2BVDVexnZ%2BX2%2B0K8BY4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Silver Wolf likes this.
  8. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

yes the translucent area in the leg and half the body make me think about agate,:angelic:

mmarco102 likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Mexican onyx is a "trade" name for the mineral travertine,it is not onyx.Agate and onyx is chalcedony a quartz mineral.

mmarco102 likes this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd agree with others who have identified this as the travertine often seen under the name "Mexican onyx." The banding isn't right for agate, IMHO.
    Carving style also seems consistent with a Mexican origin, to me.

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted