Featured Carved Conch Shell

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, May 5, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I like it but not an intricate design and probably not old so I guess nothing special?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Pretty though. :)

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I know you probably get tired of me saying "I have something like this", but it's true...I have a necklace made of a smaller carved shell just like this. It came from Florida in 1975 when we were in Lauderdale. Gift shop items. I think they're made in the Philippines.

4. kardinalisimo

Not tired at all :)
    The problem that I have in general with " I have something like this .." is that sometimes the info can be useful and sometimes misleading.
    Like, let's say, " I have a similar Chinese plate". It can look like mine, same decoration, colors etc... but there maybe be very important minor differences that makes yours a recent and cheap piece and mine could be antique expensive item.
    You know wha I'm saying?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

;)

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Are those koi?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's not a conch, it's a turban shell, fairly recent item, would have been sold in seaside tourist shops in various locations - a great green turban (Turbo marmoratus). Here's a similar pair that the seller has listed several times: http://m.ebay.com/itm/262404141647

~Cheryl

Brenda Anna and KingofThings like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I do know what you're saying, but when I say I have something similar it usually is followed by my explanation for age, possible value, etc. I'm confirming that I have knowledge of that type of item even if it's not exact. What are you looking for when you ask if it isn't our best guess based on our experience? I stopped answering your posts awhile back because all you seem to do is criticize when I do. I guess I'll go back to ignoring you since you're so prickly about answers.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

You could do the Googling yourself and not even bother to ask us if you don't like our answers.

gregsglass likes this.
  10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'd never have a problem with someone saying "I have something like that" - any little bit of information to identify a piece one is asking about would be greatly appreciated,

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Conch shells carved in a similar fashion turn up here every so often; I even found one carved for the Jewish New Year once. Value depends on age and the quality of the carving. Shells like this...dunno.

12. kardinalisimo

Oh Gosh, here we go again.
    I wonder why I have this type of discussions only with you? I guess it's not me because I get along with everybody else.
    You should stop taking everything personal. And maybe pay more attention to what I'm writing.
    I said in general, not specifically for the necklace you have. And I also said that in some cases the info can be useful. But you skipped that part. I don't see anything wrong people to be cautious when comparing pieces.
    It is important to pay attention to the little details as two pieces that look similar can be completely different in origin, age, value etc.

lloyd249 likes this.
  13. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I guess that's why!! :)

lloyd249 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted