CARVED ELEPHANT HEAD w/OLD REPUBLICA DE GUINEA COINS RITUAL OR SOUVENIR?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 1, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a estate sale last week-end. It was on a wall without a price tag but when I asked the lady running the sale how much, she gave me a price & I bought it.
    Now I need to now what the heck do I have?!
    It has shells embedded in it , as well as old (1940's) Republic of Guinea coins & ones that say GHANA Freedom and Justice + the eyes, tusks & end of trunk are covered with a metal that I think is brass or copper.
    The back has a small hole carved into it like a tribal mask but it's too small for a normal face to fit in it.
    It measures 25" long.
    What is this? Tribal? Seems to be a lot of work & detail (as well as $ in coins) to be sold as a souvenir to make money?
    I appreciate any help with this one.

AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 3BA_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 3CAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 4BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 5AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 6AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART CARVING ELEPHANT 6AAA.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's wall art, possibly what's called "airport art", but on the nice end of souvenir art. Whoever made it had talent.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a piece of wood covered with asphaltum and cowrie shells.

Draft saved Draft deleted