Carved Japanese hibachi

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, May 21, 2021.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Can I get some help with this Japanese hibachi? I have two others ones. One with similar design(different faces and third character down is different), with the third hibachi having a floral gold gilding motif. I can post other photos, just didn't want to overload this thread.

Is that a signature or a title? Any idea on the age? Looks old. It is 12.75 inches wide by 8.5 inches high. Copper pot. would love to know more. Can not find any other ones with devilish faces.

I appreciate any info.

DSCN0855.jpg DSCN0856.jpg DSCN0857.jpg DSCN0859.jpg DSCN0860.jpg DSCN0861.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The faces are masks from noh-theatre. The mark appears to read 銕 製造, the first character can be a name such as Kurogane or mean iron, second two mean produced and it's an abbreviated version of one of the characters. I guess the final character with the 'M' is likely the makers logo. Not sure where to start with dating it though.

3. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Thank you C BCA, been digging into these the last couple of days. Can not seem to find much of a significance between Noh theater and a hibachi, other then a guess it may have been a prop. Dating seems near impossible, I agree, as I find nothing similar. I appreciate your feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted