Carved Plastic Brooch St Therese of Lisieux

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Apr 22, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Another piece I need help with. This is 1 3/4" x 1 1/2" with a trombone clasp.
    Looking for help with age, and is there a term for this style of jewelry? I believe this is St Therese Of Lisieux, Patron Saint of Parental Loss.
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSC07582.jpg DSC07580.jpg DSC07564.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like molded "plastic" with banknote type engraving done on the mold.

cxgirl likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you Holly. Would engraving give a texture to the plastic? You can feel the the marks . The 2nd photo I tried to show the layers of the piece.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There is modeling there that goes beyond simple engraving, but what that means is a mystery to me. I would guess the figural outlines were defined before the engraving was added.

I haven't got a clue if yours is a one-off or a production piece. If it is plastic or composite, that would suggest production. Bone or ivory would be one-offs.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The mold would be engraved similar to a wax signet ring,it is not like scrimshaw which just has scratched lines.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My confirmation name is Therese and I never heard her called the Patron Saint of Parental Loss. I guess I'm a bad Catholic.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is certainly Thérèse of Lisieux, confirmed by this former Catholic who studied theology (although I specialized in Shamanism:D).
    My grandmother adored her. Have never heard of her being a patron saint of parental loss, although you could argue her parents lost her to the Church;). She is one of the patron saints of missionaries, and an example of pious living.
    The trombone clasp (silver?) is seen on brooches from the late 19th-early 20th century. Because she is depicted as a saint, I would say the latter, she was canonized in 1925.
    It is probably a souvenir from Lisieux in Normandy, France. Places of pilgrimage usually have a thriving tourist industry. Thérèse of Lisieux was extremely popular before WWII.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. This is a nice piece and looks well done to me, I agree that it is a souvenir piece. This isn't composite, thought maybe bone as there is an area with squiggle lines but it is so light I figured it must be plastic. The carving is done in layers and there is a texture to the piece when you run your finger over it.

9. Any Jewelry

It is certainly a nice piece. Have you checked the clasp for silvermarks? French marks can be tiny, assuming it is French.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, I've looked but no marks

11. Any Jewelry

Maybe it was made in Canada. She was probably popular with French Canadians as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted