Carved stone oil lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Fixing and sorting, came across this piece that I've had for a year or so. Bought it from a neighbor who had traveled to europe and the far east a lot for work and visited flea markets, but didn't remember where he had gotten this and could tell me nothing about it. I was attracted to the carving, but put it aside after I looked at it carefully and saw it was made of four pieces of stone (base, mid section, handle, and main reservoir with spout).

Finally tried to find something similar, and only came up with a piece listed at Christies. That piece is clearly much more elaborate, but maybe someone has some knowledge about whether this was a "thing" in the 19th century? Anyone heard of Rosso and Giallo or seen anything similar?
    https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/a-rosso-and-giallo-antico-marble-oil-6137915-details.aspx
    P3312373.JPG P3312368.JPG P3312371.JPG P3312372.JPG P3312369.JPG P3312370.JPG

sabre123 and scoutshouse like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Now if I were you I'd attribute yours to Spumoni and Bruschetta and stick it on eBay with a scary big BIN ..and see what happens when you shake the tree ...I mean, we're all locked down, might as well have some fun, right?:D

sabre123, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

kyratango, sabre123 and blooey like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

To sort the teasing from the actual description: that one is after the antique, i.e., in an ancient style, using marble that is giallo antico in color. The marble of the Christie's lamp is rosso and giallo antico. Looks like maybe they were indeed a thing.

Fun with marble at the Getty Villa.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  5. Bronwen

i need help likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I once drove from Vancouver to an auction in California with a life-size Carrara marble statue of a lady in the passenger seat. Long story, but I'll save it for another time!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bet you got some double takes from fellow motorists.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think most thought it was a blow up doll :oops: ...where it really came into it's own was in the commuter lanes on the freeway:D

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted