Featured carved wood plate and powder horn

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by alchord, Jun 19, 2020.

1. alchord

alchord New Member

My grandparents were missionaries in Madagascar and Ethiopia for a year in the mid 1950s. When they left for home they got some gifts and also made purchases in transit. I have not seen similar styling looking on line and wondering about origins of both. No info from family. IMG_20200525_bowl 1.jpg IMG_20200525_powder horn 4.jpg IMG_20200525_bowl 2 small.jpg IMG_20200525_powder horn 2.jpg IMG_20200525_powder horn 5.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Like the plate a lot!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. alchord

alchord New Member

Thank you 2manybooks. With these photos the powder horn is pretty obvious. I think I will research the time period black powder guns would still have been in use there. I have always loved the plate and asked for it out of the items distributed in the family. I remember as a child looking through things in the spare room. There was a tortoise shell, an ostrich egg, two short metal spears and I think a shield, a small brass padlock cast in the shape of a bulldog, what looked like a Navajo rug, a daguerrotype (i think) of a native american couple or family(memory fails), and I think a few other items that don't quite come to mind. Fond memories.

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think you will find that some are still in use.
    It sounds like there was an interesting family collection.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted