Carved wooden hook

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Mar 10, 2021.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the purpose of this wooden hook? It was in a lot of assorted antiques that came from an old farm. Appears to be hand carved. My first thought was that it was for hanging a cooking pot over a fire, but wood probably isn’t the best material for that! Anyway, I’m curious about this, and would love to know what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rayo56 likes this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

From the pattern of wear, it looks as if it had been made to carry something, probably a pail with a wire bale.

Sometimes things like this are a "one-of-a-kind" invention, devised by someone who figured out a better way of doing something, rather than a mass-produced item. Especially since it appears to be all carved wood, which anyone with wood working skills could produce.

But maybe not. I've seen a lot of tools, from all over the world, this one is a little different. It may be a specialty item for a specific need, not a tool widely used. I'll be watching to see when it's positively identified!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

where is the farm?

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I don't think it was used as an actual hook as the wood grain is all going the same way and would be a very weak point if anything heavy was placed on the "hook" end. Just throwing this out there for an idea, but some kind of wooden door/gate latch?
    I couldn't find any wooden latch/locks to post but this is what I'm getting at (except wood obviously)

[​IMG]

5. David Askett

Central Ontario, Canada.

komokwa likes this.
  6. David Askett

Good point about the strength (or lack of it!) of the wood. Judging by the wear pattern, something (cord, maybe, or the wire handle of a bucket?) was in the slot in the end that looks like Pac-Man. Whatever it was couldn’t have been very heavy, then.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It seems like if it were a latch, the wear would be near equal on both ends. The one end (on the top of the photo) doesn't appear to have any wear, unless it doesn't show in the photo?

David Askett and Roaring20s like this.
  8. David Askett

You are correct - the “top” end doesn’t show much wear.

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Whatever it turns out to be - It's a pretty nice piece that can be repurposed into some type of a wall hanger decoration.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't want to be hanging a cast iron pot of stew from it though - LOL!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    rDDdXsJ.jpg

komokwa and David Askett like this.
  12. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The worn end is the strong end. The end you've pictured could just be for hanging it when not in use. It's all speculation anyway.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have something similar made in silicon somewhere. It was designed for pulling hot racks out of an oven.

Draft saved Draft deleted