Cast Aluminum Shaving Mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Josh, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I have this cast aluminum shaving mirror i am trying to get some information about. Was hoping someone might know what era and region this is from. Measures 14 1/2" tall and is 13 1/4" wide.

DSCF0605 - Copy.JPG DSCF0606 - Copy.JPG DSCF0607 - Copy.JPG DSCF0608 - Copy.JPG DSCF0609 - Copy.JPG DSCF0610 - Copy.JPG

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can't say for sure but my best guess is the dollar store ....a few weeks back...

KingofThings likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't know about dollar store but believe it to be modern.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I find it interesting it has slot head screws but how in the Helsinki would it even stay standing up on those feet???

5. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody. I know this is not an antique, but I did not think it was modern either. The slot head screws made me think more of 1950's- 1970's item. No matter the age I think it will still sell fairly quickly just based on its look.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Doesn't make sense.....like it needs a 'leaning' stand...........

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

I thought this too, though with 4 relatively independent feet that doesn't jibe either.
    Seems like it should have a base, wood or marble maybe, but there aren't attachments for that so...
    I also wonder how old that swinging clip mechanism idea is.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Oh.......I just looked better and saw that it does indeed have 4 feet!!! My BAD!!:wacky:

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

I also wonder how old that swinging clip mechanism idea is.

I'm not sure when those were invented...but they're used on all the dollar store items and for many years now on the cheap packaged frames .
    Older versions had screws you could tighten.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of other metal shaving mirrors.

This one the seller is calling pewter, which I doubt very much, and dating it post 1940:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Art...069549?hash=item2360c0486d:g:sSAAAOSwnipWbJh5

This one is in Mexico:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331739213747?clk_rvr_id=968402046617&rmvSB=true

I have no idea on age. My first guess was the 1930s and '40s. On 2nd thought I don't know if aluminum was used that much for common articles for the so called common people much before the mid 1930s. It wasn't until the Depression big WPA hydroelectric projects that really expanded the production of aluminum. Also I doubt the 1940s because aluminum was a strategic war metal during WWII - used to make airplanes, etc. This brings me to the late 1940s-1970s.

Then again. aluminum foil came out in 1910 and "Napoleon III [1808-1873], the first President of the French Republic, served his state dinners on aluminum plates. Rank-and-file guests were served on dishes made with gold or silver."

Soooooo, obviously I having help you on a possibly date!

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  11. komokwa

Soooooo, obviously I having help you on a possibly date!

??? What ???
    Is that auto correct ....or are you having a stroke ?? :hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

Aluminum was so very expensive back when and if used for this would've been finishes far nicer methinks.

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

methinks so as well.......this casting is bush league ....and may be coated with cadmium...

KingofThings likes this.
  14. KingofThings

Uh oh.....
    Can't use that any more and I suspect the classic car guys are pi**ed. :p

15. komokwa

16. KingofThings

Yeah...................well.....................

17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Ooops, obviously I didn't proof read. I left out the negative. Should have read...

Sooooo, obviously I haven't helped you on a a possible date!

--- Susan

18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

It struck me as late 20th-early 21st C. Made to look old style. Giveaways are lack of any visible age, cartoonish design, and particularly the little spring mirror clamps or tabs. You could also consider it a fantasy item.

Draft saved Draft deleted