Cast brass/ bronze leaf

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Marzena, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

I am aware, that trying to id such things is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but maybe some of you will know what and from my version is. It is quite large ( ashtray is for good scale ). There's no marks.
    20190906_094939-01_resize_42.jpg 20190906_095037-02_resize_89.jpg
    My second question is about material: is it brass or bronze? It's more heavy than lots of brass things I have, and even a bit heavier than one similar size bronze item on my shelf. There is characteristic pink copper tone visible in some places, and the material is pretty porous. But with first look it seems to be brass rather. I don't know.
    20190906_095030-01_resize_98.jpg

And the third question: someone probably tried to clean it with wax or paste with wax unfortunately in a pretty wrong way, and all the pores of metal are now clogged with it. I used paste from salt, lemon, vinegar and soda, i even used the needle to gently clean it, I managed to remove the lot of it, but it seems to be unremovable in these tiny holes. Do you have any way to move it?
    20190906_095757-01_resize_78.jpg

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wonder if it is not an actual, very large, leaf that has been coated in brass or bronze, like bronzed baby shoes. The color inclines me toward brass.

3. Marzena

Thanks! I will follow this trail )

i need help, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Put in a warm oven for several hours and most of the wax will melt and drip out. Then wash in hot water and a fine toothbrush scrub it and most of the wax will come off.
    greg

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Morning, Greg! Great minds...

6. Marzena

Very, very much thank you!!!

i need help, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Either a leaf or turtle back????

Marzena, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2BA73D9E-2259-45CB-829C-90D0124B8C30.jpeg I guess this won’t be a possibility, as it seems the wax is on the back of yours? Also, not quite sure of the scale.

Marzena and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not the right arrangement of sections for the scutes of a turtle shell, trust me on this one. :):turtle::turtle:

Aquitaine, Marzena and komokwa like this.
  10. Marzena

I don't think so, but I fond of your way of thinking, like with a serpent with swallowed elephant in Little Prince -)

11. Marzena

It's from both sides. And it may be also some trail, the shape looks similar. Thanks)

Bronwen likes this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Wax is usually soluble in mineral spirits. You might try some on a swab and see if that works.

Bronwen, Jivvy and Marzena like this.