Cast iron Boston

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Cassy, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

E5CF2553-ABAA-405B-B78F-CB51560C8756.jpeg 1CB635BA-10FF-4027-8054-02DC690EDFE5.jpeg CE80209B-CE9F-4C9E-A106-80D5230875CE.jpeg 62E26465-0878-4646-A9F3-2E206E6168D0.jpeg Hi all looking for help confirming that this is an original cast iron Hubley Boston , cheers

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Need some dimensions please.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

10 inches tall and 10 inches wide from side of face to back of leg , cheers

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Just a few observations. On the 10" bulldogs the cast halves usually were screwed together in 2 places not one like yours. The rib cage was prominant on the Hubley castings, not smooth like yours. The bottoms of the feet were filed flat - on yours it seems one of the feet still has the casting parting line on it. And the skin folds on the neck that start up by the ears and actually go down to the back seem off - but that may be from wear and/or filled in with paint?
    So like I said - just what I'm seeing, the newer ones may have changed so probably will have to research it a little more in depth.

scoutshouse, Figtree3, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  5. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

Hi just seen another one which as Hubley 1916 marked on its side . Could this be a reproduction as I wasn’t aware they were stamped
    Cheers Neil

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That would take some research, unless somebody here knows more about Hubley. According to this page, "The word "HUBLEY" is sometimes imprinted on hollow doorstops." It also mentions three-digit numbers. https://living.thebump.com/hubley-doorstop-real-11193.html

I don't know about these, though, but it sounds like the stamps were often on the bottom.

i need help likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If it is a Hubley, it more valuable than you think. Your door stop faces left, looking from the rear. Most of them face right. The left facing ones are rarer and bring higher prices.
    greg

anundverkaufen and Figtree3 like this.