Cast Iron & Brass Parrot Bridge Arm Table Lamp

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ducatidiana, Oct 4, 2019.

1. ducatidiana

ducatidiana New Member

I have this ornate cast iron and brass parrot bridge arm lamp with an 8-panel slag glass shade. It is approximately 36" tall. Does anyone know this lamp manufacturer? The base is stamped MC and 1479. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like it but it doesn't look very old to me. Welcome @ducatidiana ! :cat:

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. ducatidiana

ducatidiana New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate your reply--could you expand on that?

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the glass is not older or expensive
    the metal holding it...not soldered...or tiffany style....and very simple...
    I'm not sure that's even a cast iron base........
    did you put a magnet to it ?

i need help likes this.
  5. ducatidiana

ducatidiana New Member

Yes, it's a cast iron base. It's quite heavy, and a magnet sticks strongly. What other type of bases were you thinking?

i need help likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Spelter is popular for lamp bases, but it is non-magnetic. Do the other pieces attract a magnet?

Can you take a shot of the socket and the fitter ring that holds the shade on?

Look very closely around the fitter ring for markings. Sometimes they are very faint and/or very small. Could be at the side, or on top. Use of a magnifying glass is recommended.

i need help likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it is old but refurbished and shortened in the process. Don't think the shade is original. At full height, the weight of it would likely tip the lamp with little provocation. These usually had fabric or mica shades on them originally.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Can we get a shot of the inside of the shade?

I can't help with dating, it's purely a matter of curiosity (about the construction) on my part.

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The bubbled finish on the cast iron looks newer than 1960s, as does the style of the parrot and support arm.

By contrast, the shade looks old and handmade, so no easy method of dating it. Perhaps Jivvy will know more about the shade.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?