Featured Cast Iron Buddha Head

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

DC3578B6-C465-4649-B8A3-2B34C9A66355.jpeg 28627509-5CF7-4DA8-A648-DB1F56658BDA.jpeg 6AE638B5-A845-44CA-9C1B-E843AE2ADF5C.jpeg 16DF39C7-16E3-466F-B224-0771E54E0D06.jpeg E20E93CB-1066-41B2-9D1B-76AE5E8210DD.jpeg 1B628A1D-3F78-4999-A26E-DFF9A728D56A.jpeg Not a traditional Buddha hair so I expect @Any Jewelry to shed some light on the bun :)
    Any suggestions on the origin?

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, a Chinese Kwan Yin, or Guanyin. (They changed the Western spelling a couple of years ago while our backs were turned. ;))
    The hairstyle is like a traditional Chinese woman's hairstyle, but you can also see a seashell curl in this particular hairbun. Guanyin is protector of sailors.
    Guanyin was originally male, the Buddhist Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara. In China he morphed with a pre-Buddhist Goddess, and could be considered male, female, or gender neutral. Because Guanyin was originally male, he is sometimes depicted bare-chested, which is confusing to people in the West who think it is a girl.

Kard, your Guanyin has a nice face, very serene. She is looking down on the world, a gentle look of compassion with the people, and to guard and protect.
    In Guanyin's crown you can see the Amithaba Buddha, symbol of eternal and infinite light, and the principal celestial Buddha in most types of East Asian Buddhism.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    patd8643, KSW and i need help like this.
  4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

D8A786DA-7B91-4AB9-A7EA-E764CC0328B0.jpeg Thanks INH and AJ.
    I would think mine is more recent, right?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

6. Nurah

Nurah New Member

I have a similar or identical piece that I got at an outlet store 20 or so years ago. I have a recollection that it is from Indonesia.

7. Any Jewelry

Welcome Nurah. The Indonesians copy many non-Indonesian styles, including Chinese styles, so it could have been made in Indonesia. Thailand is another country that will manufacture anything as long as it sells. And China is an old hand at copying, but in this case they would be reproducing their own style.;)
    Bottom line is, with these recent pieces you rarely know where on earth (literally) they were made, just the style.

i need help likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I am curious, @kardinalisimo, did you actually test it with a magnet to determine it was cast iron? I ask because the interior looks like the head was produced by a relatively modern process called "slush casting", which is usually done with metals (or other materials) with a lower melting temperature than cast iron.
    https://thelibraryofmanufacturing.com/slush_casting.html

Jeff Drum likes this.
  9. Nurah

Nurah New Member

Mine seems heavy enough to be cast iron, and it attracts a magnet.

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted