Featured Cast iron panel

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Aug 12, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Anyone know what this was for? Bottom inch or two was left unpainted. That makes me assume that part may have been hidden for some reason. I see people calling panels exactly this size fire backs but I’m not so sure about that. One hole has me confused a bit. Stove?

There is a makers mark on the back that I can’t make out. I tried a rubbing but only had a colored pencil and it didn’t work well enough to make it out. 23A8F41E-E612-4578-8BB3-9815F2EFFE13.jpeg 24322A38-AF4E-41AF-A3F8-085BA6EB686E.jpeg

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Is the hole part of the casting, or does it look like it was drilled? It sure ticks all of the boxes for a fire back (minus the paint job).

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  3. J Dagger

I just left it behind for a week but I’ll look when I get back. To my eye it looked cast but I didn’t examine it ultra close. I’ve only had one fireback and it was a good deal thicker. For all I know most are the same thickness as this one though. So funny I “bought” a single crayon at an estate sale today so I could try the rubbing again.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Some fireplaces also had cast iron decorative front plates.

5. J Dagger

Interesting. Didn’t know that. Were small fireplaces pretty common in smaller rooms? I’ll have to assume so but have limited time spent in historic homes.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Small fireplaces were often meant to burn coal. Here is an example of a fireplace with a solid decorative front plate.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted