Cast iron soldier figure

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Mar 22, 2020.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

This cast iron figure of a Revolutionary War-era British soldier was found in the basement of a very old house. With the flat spots and holes on the top of his head and bottom of his feet, he seems to have been meant for a purpose beyond simply being decorative, or a toy, but I’m stumped as to what that might have been. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like you've stumped everybody, at least temporarily!

I have no really good guesses, but am going to say that it attached to some sort of tool or implement? Maybe a fireplace tool? On the other hand, maybe it wouldn't have been colored if it was supposed to be very close to heat. I also thought maybe it was part of a fence, but then wondered again about the coloring. So, don't really know.

David Askett, 916Bulldogs123 and KSW like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Would the hole on the top fit a small candle?

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. David Askett

Thanks for your thoughts, @Figtree3 and @916Bulldogs123 . Interesting idea about having something to do with a fireplace tool. I believe I have seen painted andirons, so the paint may not rule out this theory. As for it being a candlestick, the candle would have to be very slim - a taper, really - but I suppose this is also a possibility.

Maybe we’ll just never know for sure...

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Part of a finial for something? Is his right hand missing? I wonder if it held something.

David Askett and Figtree3 like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

David Askett and Figtree3 like this.
  7. David Askett

It's not easy to see in the photos, but his right hand is there, holding the stock of his musket close to his body.

Draft saved Draft deleted