Cathode Ray Tube - GE/US Navy

Discussion in 'Tools' started by verybrad, May 29, 2017.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Didn't really know where to put this but figured the tech geeks would find it here. This is a large General Electric 21" long cathode ray tube with a 12" diameter screen. It has what appears to be a US Navy stamp on it. Any idea of use? I see that some bring good money on ebay but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why. Those in working order obviously do better and I don't know if this works or not.

A friend gave this to me and I thought I might make it in to a lamp but am having second thoughts. Is this more valuable as-is? There is a second one I could purchase so maybe one to sell and one for a lamp ..... LOL! Also, anything dangerous in there if I decide to drill into it and make it a lamp? Any and all thoughts are appreciated! stuff1340.jpg stuff1340a.jpg stuff1340b.jpg stuff1340c.jpg

lloyd249 likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

There's a high vacuum inside so drilling into it might get exciting, but I've never done it so don't know if the tube will implode with a bang or just fill with air and make a hissing noise.

verybrad likes this.
  4. terry5732

I was carrying a giant one through a doorway and knocked the small evacuation tube on the door frame (it is inside the center lug of the plug). Took me a minute to figure out what the strange hiss was.

verybrad likes this.
  5. verybrad

Thanks for the replies so far. How would you suggest drilling this if that is the route I decide to go?

6. terry5732

Break the center lug of the plug with a pliars. It is brittle Bakelite. Inside is the small tube they used for vacuum when it was made. Break that to release the vacuum. The front glass may be pretty thick. I have never once been able to drill a nice hole in glass or ceramic without it breaking. lug 002.JPG lug 004.JPG lug 005.JPG

verybrad likes this.
  7. verybrad

Thanks! Looks like that would be the way to go to release the pressure. I probably would not be able to put any wiring or lights through there. I have a glass drill bit that should be able to make a small hole in the side (wouldn't want to go through the front). I should, then, be able to enlarge it with a cone shaped grinding bit. Have had some success doing this in the past (Don't ask me why :cool:) but it is a rather slow process.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

be careful ......

9. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_12g-p7.html
    http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/201/1/12GP7.pdf
    From late 1940s. Most likely a radar scope display tube.(or oscilloscope) IF your going to dispose of it, follow the instructions mentioned before for breaking the vacuum. Any old vacuum tube should be disposed of this way. Would be nice to discover where it was used. WWII museum ships may be interested for parts. Being interested in the USS North Carolina BB55, old parts are searched for for various pieces of equipment. Part are scrounged and then equipment becomes inoperatable. They search for items to refurbish. It could be part of any Navy or Army radar apparatus.

10. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

lloyd249 likes this.
  11. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

lloyd249 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted