Celadon Lions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

we found these celadon lions. they are over 30 inches tall.
    I couldn't find any examples on this scale.
    Does anyone know anything about them?
    the estate had some $10k+ porcelain pieces, but also a few "not food safe" pieces.
    I think they're fairly recent productions, but couldn't find any elsewhere so don't look mass market.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are very nice garden statues. Like the ones that guard entrances to Chinese temples and palaces. I agree, no great age.
    They look like a male and a female, the right combination for harmony. Although they are rather squashing the cosmic pearl/satin ball (male) and the cub (female).:eek:
    They are not celadon, which is pale green.
    You can put them in the garden, but protect them against frost. If you live in an area with cold winters, store them inside during winter.

3. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi AJ, Great observation. The orb and cub are REALLY squashed! A bit unusual and I wonder how that would disturb the harmony?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It would give the cub some health issues and animal welfare may have to step in.
    Squashing the cosmic pearl of wisdom/brocade ball is a very serious matter, resulting in world leaders like a certain loudmouth president....;)

5. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted