Featured Celluloid Hand Fan - Comments Please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 12, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I came across this thin celluloid fan that is very simple in design. The blades are wafer thin and have some striations in them, otherwise, it is quite plain. It doesn't expand very much, but I since don't know anything about fans, I don't know if it is supposed to be that way. It just doesn't seem to me very useful to create a breeze.
    It is in pretty good shape except for the ribbon that has become unglued at the end. When I have been doing research, all the celluloid fans are ornately carved or colorful. I can't find anything like this. It is 9 1/2 inches in total length. The blades are 8 3/4 inches and the widest blade is 1 1/4 inch. If it is an antique, I will have it framed to protect it. I would appreciate some help. @Any Jewelry if you want to chime in that would be great. It was hard to photograph, so please excuse these.

IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0567.jpg IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0563.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, Kiko.
    The unusual shape is called fontange, after the ca 1700 fontange hairstyle with a similar high central part. Fontange fans are later though, mostly very late 19th-early 20th century.
    Yours is early 20th century, so yes antique, and to be handled with care. I love the very Art Nouveau loop. It would have had a silk ribbon (with a bow?) to wear it on the wrist.
    Not a problem, easily solved.
    These thin fans were less likely to survive than the more sturdy fancy fans.
    My grandmother had a few of these thin celluloid fans (not fontange), she called them dancing lesson fans. A young lady had to have the proper attire when attending dance lessons, of course.;)
    When she went to an informal dance, she would also have a celluloid fan with her, and it served as a dancing card as well as a fan. Young men would write their name in pencil on the leaves.
    For formal occasions she had ivory and lace fans, painted with delicate flowers.
    I still have her surviving fans, they were the start of my fan collection.:happy:

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  3. Any Jewelry

Queen Mary with fontange hairstyle:

[​IMG]

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It is in fantastic condition!
    From your pics, I rather see ivory than celluloid
    The striations are not the regular parallel kind encountered on French Ivory (man made material).
    Plus the ring\fixation piece is carved (pic 9).
    Celluloid is very light weighed, when ivory is much more dense and feels heavy in hand...

5. KikoBlueEyes

This is soooooooooooo exciting! Fontange - new word too. Thank you for the thorough and detailed explanation. I was hoping it was just not a toss away reproduction. I am jazzed it is an antique worth preserving. I can see now why it is so simple and small. Something for a younger person. The idea of young men writing on the fan blades and not a dance card is exquisite. I'm far more familiar with the fancy ivory and lace fans. Thank you very much.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Love this. You could be seen better across the room, I suppose, with this towering hairdo. :)

7. KikoBlueEyes

Ooops. In California, even antique ivory is forbidden for sale. I just thought faux ivory - celluloid in this case. It feels rather heavy at 5.4 grams, but I don't have another one to compare weight. I didn't notice the carved ring, but you are right, that doesn't seem molded. More reason to conserve then.
    It seemed to be unused, so that's perhaps why it survived. Perhaps, a young girl like me with two left feet. :):):)

8. Any Jewelry

I didn't even look at the material, but I agree, it looks like ivory, not faux.
    Celluloid was also carved btw, and still is, in Spain for instance. I posted some carved celluloid ornamental combs a few years back.:)

9. KikoBlueEyes

I'm the one who labelled it celluloid. I guessed. I figured all plastics were molded. Good to know that celluloid is carved.

10. KikoBlueEyes

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice and elegant.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. A néw rabbit hole of discovery though.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted