Featured Celtic cross done in green marble like stone with inset metal (brass I assume). Something or nada?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Nov 20, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

7B36AD4D-7937-4727-A22B-C85781B2DDAE.jpeg 8BAAF559-14B6-4A81-BA32-79FC74903A16.jpeg 41DA85EA-FFD6-4FCE-B1BD-89ED07510468.jpeg C6F06C85-1FF2-413C-90A7-A6EB0366D6DE.jpeg I can’t find one quite like this online. There’s one kind of similar on worthpoint but without the metal. I can’t find any with the metal inset in the carving. I would think I would be able to find something similar more easily if it were something commonly made. Anyone seen something like this before? Thought it was cool when I ran into it for a buck or so.

Bonus points for ideas on what the the carving below it is. Somewhat resembles a face with hair or a mane or maybe spikes above. No clue what it is though.

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I didn't see a reference to size @J Dagger? And can you be more specific as to "what the the carving below it is"?? Do you mean the brass ON the cross?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like the OP's cross is Connemara marble, i.e. Souvenir of Ireland. That's what it's supposed to be anyway.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What Aqui said, plus is the rock part of the item or just a prop?
    Blarney Stone ? :hilarious:

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. J Dagger

Aquitaine, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. J Dagger

About 3” woops.

There is a separate gray stone below the cross that I picked up over the weekend. I can’t tell which way it’s supposed to be oriented and once it is what if anything specific it’s supposed to be. Maybe abstract or maybe the bust of someone or something.

I assume it’s supposed to stand like this but because of the proportions of the stone it cannot without being propped up. Looks like a very interesting bust this way.
    3E2B5B14-7518-41FA-9683-EA88F389F764.jpeg

It also looks like a creature this way kind of. I see a lizard like creature.
    605651F0-116D-4A5C-8865-2677A329DC9D.jpeg

8. J Dagger

Totally separate prop. Should have mentioned that.

Draft saved Draft deleted