Featured Central Glass Log Cabin Compote

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 10, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_7441.JPG IMG_7442.JPG IMG_7443.JPG IMG_7444.JPG A chip on the upper corner and some damages on the inside of the roof. I guess that will make its value very modest?

kyratango, Joshua Brown, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Kard, it seems that most of these log cabin pieces have damage of some sort under the lid. How well you can do selling yours is going to depend a lot on how much you have into it.

This similar item, although listed as a compote, does not have the tree trunk compote base. It seems to have at least as much damage as yours, and it apparently sold not too long ago for $140.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/80071550/impressive-central-glass-co-log-cabin

This one sold in 2010 for $300. Of course, it isn't 2010 anymore!
    https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/7859040_144-log-cabin-covered-compote

A compote base only (no lid) sold on eBay earlier in 2017 @ $97.99 + $15 S+H:
    #112273107044 Beautiful EAPG Log Cabin 8" Compote Base High Tree Trunk Standard Central Glass

There's also a lidded compote, with interior chipping, shown on Worthpoint that sold in Dec 2016, but I don't have a subscription, so I can't see the price:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/log-cabin-pattern-high-stemmed-1844666132

There also seem to be a few different sizes of these compotes, so the size of the one you have may make some difference, too.

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Central didn't fire polish these wares, they have been happily chipping away for 130 years. I happily picked up a canary covered pickle jar that had only one 1/8 chip on one corner of the lid. Couldn't believe my luck.

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Happily??? chipping?? sounds like a birdie but unfortunately true.

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NEVER saw one before either!!! NICE find!!!!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have never seen that form either, and I agree - Nice Find! But the designer in me is FORCED to say that I have seldom seen anything so inharmonious or clumsy in form..........positively awkward in my opinion..............but then again, I find anything by Frank Gehry jangles on my nerves, so............................

It COULD be my lack of taste................

judy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Cherryhill

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh, my..................

Thanks for that Cherryhill..................I was going to see if there were any other pieces to this line, just to satisfy my curiosity..........and you saved me the "search" trouble!

11. Cherryhill

Full line, I'm guessing 40 to 60 pcs.

12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Melissa Brown and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted