Ceramic buttons, nice glaze, age please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Any Jewelry, May 30, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These huge handmade ceramic buttons were my mother's. The beautiful glaze on them reminds me of Ruskin ware, but these look artisan made.
    When I asked my mother about them she said she had them on a coat when she was a girl. That could have been in the 30s, she was born in 1923.
    I have been going through her old photographs, but haven't found any coats with these buttons. There are also a few smaller buttons, for the sleeves.
    My grandfather supported struggling artists during the Depression Era, maybe he bought these for my mother, or was given them as a thank you.

Does anyone have any idea of the age?
    Thank you for looking.:)

upload_2020-5-30_18-44-29.jpeg
    The backs, with lighter for size:
    upload_2020-5-30_18-45-1.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-30_18-46-46.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-30_18-47-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-30_18-45-59.jpeg

I like the indentation on the edge, from whatever was used to make the hole.;)
    upload_2020-5-30_18-47-37.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, lovely glazes that’s are reminiscent of Ruskin as you say. I would think, especially as your mother remembered them, that a date of c. 1930 would be good.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, good to know, @kentworld .:happy:

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted