ceramic cat w/ chinese mark: label on back suggests this was made by Edme Samson is that likely?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Dec 5, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, that is typical of a Samson faux Chinese mark.

3. sunday silence

yes I see that. BUt it was mostly on plates and stuff yes? I do not see figurals made with chinese marks. Is that unusual?

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Cute, softly posed kitty....love the colors in the bow....AND, wow are there a LOT of marks to check if you GOOGLE Edme Samson!!!!

4--standard-300x.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Samson made a lot of figures, not necessarily animal ones, but with the enormous amount of designs they copied I don't see it as unusual at all.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I've not come across that before - so they are saying Porcelaine de Paris was a business in the 20th century, not just a regional mark, using a blue cross arrow mark and these red pseudo Chinese marks.

The references I have suggest these pseudo as Samson, although they are older references, so that would be great to correct this marking if wrong. If these marks were common into the 1980's it does seem odd there are not detailed references about them available already though.

Some items with this mark do look older, so perhaps PdP was operating earlier, or Samson was using similar marks prior. Will be interesting to find out for sure.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. sunday silence

Draft saved Draft deleted