Ceramic Chinese Couple Wall Pocket/Flower Frogs?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LoveTheHunt!, Nov 5, 2018.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

I like Asian arts, but don't know enough about them. This pair of ceramic figures is another consignment, but I don't know enough specifics about them to guess whether they might even be worth the hundred$ the owner is thinking of...
    The figures are 7 to 8" long; they have flat backs and a hole for hanging, like wall pockets - but rather than actual pockets, they have small holes like a flower frog - so what do I call them?
    Both have only a hole at the bottom where one would expect to see a 2nd foot; I assume that is by design, not something missing?
    The woman's foot is tiny, and I thought something was amiss, until I realized that must represent a bound foot. Even so, it seems odd it is a separate piece attached inside a hole, rather than molded in as is the man's foot. It also makes that leg look short - does that look like an issue to you?
    They are also quite grimy. I tried to clean with soapy water, ammonia cleaner, and denatured alcohol, all of which barely touched the heavily soiled areas.
    SO - I'm posting big pictures from several angles, and welcome any comments regarding purpose, age, origin, condition, value, etc. I'm not so impressed by these, and don't want to waste my time trying to sell them for some ridiculous amount; yet, I have been wrong before, and don't want to write them off without good reason...
    Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-fr.jpg Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-ls.jpg Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-rs.jpg Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-top.jpg Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-bk.jpg

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They look to me like reclining figures, meant to lay down rather than wall hanging. They also look like they were once part of something larger. Maybe TV lamp/planters?

3. LoveTheHunt!

That's plausible...

judy, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

They don't really work as wall pockets. Somehow those holes at the bottom would have to be plugged and the other holes seem to be in odd positions. I suppose you could start cuttings in them but that seems a stretch. Similarly, as flower frogs the holes don't really work well. I even tried to think of them as perhaps dispensers of some type - maybe perfume or rose water but again the location of the holes kind of mess that up. They would work as wall plaques and the location of the back holes would seem to support that.

The color scheme and decoration remind me of depression era Chinese pieces but I'm really out of my comfort zone. They may have been aged artificially which could be why you are having trouble cleaning them. On the off chance it's tobacco staining I would try denture tablets or a Krud Kutter. Don't worry about the back. You can spend years trying to bring those to white and you'll just get frustrated. I don't see any great workmanship in either the molds or the decoration.

If the customer is being unrealistic I would ask them to come back with some kind (any kind) of information regarding them. They should at least be able to tell you the purpose. Mind you this is JMHO. Hopefully others will know more about them.
    Don

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

6. LoveTheHunt!

I'm inclined to agree with all you said.
    The owner already admitted he didn't know what they are. He does think they are "old" - but that's not much help, especially on Chinese ceramics, which are so often copied/faked.
    That Trocadero listing surely looks like the same as the man I have. It doesn't tell me anything that would encourage me to go forward with selling this one, though.

judy and i need help like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the reason you can't get the grime off, is because someone had them either sitting in water or dirt.

Do you have any Bar Keeper's Friend? If so, make a light paste and try that to get some of the scum off.

I do think that these are early 1900s.

I was wondering if these might be Kutani @Mat

LoveTheHunt! and i need help like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2018-11-5_19-43-20.png
    They appear to be marked.

9. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Could they be for holding incense sticks inside, so the smoke comes out the holes?

LoveTheHunt! and i need help like this.
  10. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in about cleaning nicotine and tar-coated ceramic and pottery items. The best thing I've ever found is the L.A.'s Awesome Orange Oxygen spray from Dollar Tree. It literally dissolves the residue, and can also remove the discoloration from the unglazed areas depending on the clay material. You have to be careful on anything with gilding or cold paint or other above-the-glaze decoration. I've tried oxy-clean by itself, and "orange oil" cleaners by themselves with mixed results, but their formulation of both in one bottle somehow does the trick, quick.

OrangeOxy.jpg

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

New
    Could they be for holding incense sticks inside, so the smoke comes out the holes? or for holding the sticks on the outside???
    Don't know that I would clean the backs ... sort of shows their age.
    Consider emailing seller of one in link and asking purpose.
    Patd

LoveTheHunt!, judy and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-11-6_2-42-30.jpeg

Not with her clothes on...she's not !

I don't care what Picclick says.....or some ebay twerp...

good thing yer joking Hunting !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::):)

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe I should add to “laughable Eboo listings” thread. ;)

LoveTheHunt!, komokwa and judy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are not Kutani. The clothing is Chinese and they look Chinese made.
    It looks like they should be holding something.
    I wouldn't clean them any further without asking the seller first.

LoveTheHunt!, i need help and judy like this.
  16. LoveTheHunt!

Yes, I had forgotten there were marks - but they aren't much help to me. I don't even know which way they should be oriented.
    Well, on the long shot that someone may recognize the marks, here are closeups:
    Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-mk-man.jpg Chinese_Couple-Wall_Pocket_Flower_Frogs-mk-woman.jpg

17. LoveTheHunt!

Here's the big question for me - the owner set the minimum bid amount at $750 (he actually wants me to start off trying for more) - and I can't see it...
    Does anyone here think they really have a chance for that kind of money?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well the one Hunting found is sitting at $108......
    so I'd have to say that $750.........is either bat shit crazy.......or someone who thinks that their stuff is the best stuff & anyone trying to tell them different is a loser & trying to rob them !!

U say........"I'm not so impressed by these, and don't want to waste my time trying to sell them for some ridiculous amount;"

& that's the smartest thing I've heard all day !!!
    it may be a consignment ....but when you list it ...it'll be you that's asking $750...and lookin all weird for doing that !!

19. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sounds like they found the Trocadaro listing and are using that as a basis for their price. I think I'd say I just didn't have enough experience listing these types of items to feel comfortable and letting it go at that. Tell them that with potentially valuable items like this it's best to run them through an established auction house that deals with Asian antiques. They'll get a much better price then they will on ebay. Good luck!
    Don

20. LoveTheHunt!

EXACTLY! - But, I really like to be SURE before I reject something of his, because I have been shocked more than once with things he came up with.
    For instance, the jade archer's thumb ring on a little silver stand, that neither one of us knew anything about (except the name on the silver, which was good, but not the main attraction) - that one went for over $2K! Funny thing, I researched it after the buyer told me what it was, and ours was still the highest recent sale (even listed as a "mystery"), over others that had fancy carving, etc.!

cxgirl, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted