Ceramic deco-styled string, cotton holder kitchen sewing room thingy?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Sep 4, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I bought this because it has a deco look, but I don’t even know what it is, never mind if it's deco. Combination string/cotton holder? Anybody recognize it? Together, the 2 pieces stand about 4 ¼” tall, measure about 4 ¾” across, and 2 ½” front to back. No maker’s mark or label (I did look under the cork on the bottom).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is old.
    I think newer import, so that would rule out string holder as no one uses string anymore. Even the Post Office doesn't allow it.

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

It looks vintage to me. If it was newer what would it be used for?? It has that California pottery feel to me but WDIK? ;)

4. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

I didn't notice at first that the hole in the top doesn't go all the way through? Maybe for oil or potpourri in the top and a candle in the bottom? Try an image search on ceramic oil warmer - all kinds of shapes out there.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Ceramic oil warmers are something I never heard of, but now I'm prepared to believe that's what this is. It also explains the up-turned ends on the bottom of that top section. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted