Featured Ceramic Yixing teapot, can anyone translate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone can help with the signature or text on the side. (Apologies if I have signature upside down.) The only signature appears inside the lid.

This was at my local thrift, decoratively I really like it -- unfortunately there are a few chips, not on the pot, but on the underside of the lid.

Any info much appreciated.

yix1.jpg yix2.jpg yix2b.jpg yix3.jpg yix4.jpg yix5.jpg

cxgirl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

nice looking teapot Lucille:) I can't help with the signature or text, but have found with yixing pieces if you put good photos up the buyers will know, and if it is a good one it will get bids and offers to buy it now pretty quickly.
    sometimes there are marks on the underside of the handle

3. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

The lid has the seal of Fan Zude 范祖德 (1904~1976), a noted Yixing potter.

http://auction.artron.net/paimai-art0045074198/

According to the inscription, though, the teapot is Li Yong product 利永出品 and engraved by You Shi 友石刻. Li Yong is a well-known producer of Yixing ware, especially in the Republic era. You Shi was also noted for his calligraphy.

Famous Yixing ware is widely copied, just look on eBay, but the photos suggest you have quite a nice piece. I'm not clear about that color difference on the outside, though. Great shame about the damage.

In any event, I think this is an interesting piece, and I'd suggest getting the opinion of someone familiar with Yixing ware. I certainly can't say whether this is genuine or just a good copy.

Edit:
    That's not a large crack there on the back of the teapot, is it? Just the lobing, I hope.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    judy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you Cx and Khl889.

Very helpful information. It does seem like a nicely made one, but unfortunately has that damage on the lid. No cracks on the teapot, it has 4 decorative lines, wasn't sure what to call that decoration (lobing).

I appreciate all of the translations, gives me a great starting point. Many thanks. :happy::happy::happy:

ayix1.jpg ayix2.jpg ayix3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    judy, antidiem and cxgirl like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Great find, Lucille and actually the most attractive one I've seen yet!

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I know nothing about these, other than what's just been said, but it's LOVELY!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

antidiem, Lucille.b and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted