Chair advice

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Alun Bevan, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Alun Bevan

Alun Bevan New Member

Hi, I’m clearing my mothers house and have 2 of these chairs.

Can anyone shed any light on what type of chairs they are.

I know they belonged to my grandmother and my father had them recovered year ago.

I’m wondering if it’s worth restoring them or not.

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

06E2FE43-9C08-48B5-8BC4-D386DCAA46E0.jpeg 79B6BC90-93F8-4885-97F2-64E079FFC1D3.jpeg 29D34EB1-DDE4-40F0-BEAB-4E1F5F96BDA1.jpeg If you check Full Images, we can see them better. Nice chair! Furniture folks will be along. :)

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess victorian circa 1870s-80s,probably part of a parlor set. They look fine to me,what needs restoring? Oh and welcome aboard. :)

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Restoration/recovering would be solely for your personal use. Won't increase value as the value of this type of chair is minimal these days.

I agree with Johnny's time frame circa 1880s.
    I would call them Lady's parlor chairs. And yes could have been part of a set, but not always.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mess with them unless it's for personal use. These days Victorian furniture sells for about what used Ikea does, but not as easily. :dead::dead::dead::depressed::depressed::depressed:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice aesthetic movement-inspired walnut side chairs. Like Johnny said, what's to restore? I'd just leave them and find a nice place to display them. Like all brown furniture these days, value is minimal.

Fid, judy, Christmasjoy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Alun Bevan , you mentioned chairs, plural. But showed only one chair. Are you also asking about the sofa next to the chair? Or do you have multiple chairs from the parlor set? Often those sets had more than one style of chair that all went together.

8. Alun Bevan

Alun Bevan New Member

It is s pair of chairs the other one is coming apart and may need some work.

I was just wondering if its worth restoring the other one, they have been in the family as long as I can remember and it will be difficult to part with them.

If my brothers get there way they will end up in a skip.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

A pair of chairs is always better than a single chair. And if you like them and want to use them, this would be a good opportunity to see how easy old wood furniture can be to repair by yourself without special tools. Wood furniture was originally glued together and the glue can loosen over time, but removing the old glue and adding new (with clamps) can repair almost any wood furniture without a lot of effort. Post pics of the other chair if you want advice on repair.

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted