Chair Identification. Possible Elephant Hide?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Matt.FL, May 2, 2022.

1. Matt.FL

Matt.FL New Member

Seeking some information on this what appears to be very old chair. Thoughts on time period or style? Only thing I have done is somewhat clean the leather and wipe down the wood. The carvings all appear hand done and the leather looks like Elephant hide leather to me, it’s very thick plus the amount of deep wrinkles. No markings or labels anywhere I could find.Any information is greatly appreciated. Can send more detailed pictures if needed
    7FA20317-3AF8-4AB3-B2CC-C31426FEBAF2.jpeg DDE89BE9-4066-49D5-B8E2-7EFAB70CFD6D.jpeg B3E2D7CB-D329-4834-BBB2-727E4865A248.jpeg 9B1ACD67-939B-4582-8054-5652FE5AD4A0.jpeg D88FB3D3-BFFC-4689-9A25-9E250ACCF71B.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Not especially old. Late 19th century (ca 1890s) or more recent. You don’t show sides to see if pinned joints. I hope it isn’t elephant hide. Cow Leather can be and is impressed with patterns.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah. Just leather I'd think to add interest to Spanish Colonial Revival design.

Debora

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think most likely circa 1930 and Spanish revival. Probably part of a dining set. Agree, not elephant hide.

6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This style is also properly called Italian Renaissance Revival, so 30’s is possible, but could be earlier. If we had better pics we may be able to distinguish, though not a lot of differences anyway.

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd go with 1930s as well, part of a dining room set, as Verybrad said.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

The studs are unusual, but it takes a certain kind of person to identify elephant leather. I've only seen it once--one of those stools made of feet--and it made me feel uncomfortable even from the other side of the saleroom. Anyway, you can tell the poachers shot him in the back!

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sold leather goods, including exotics, for a decade of my life - this isn't elephant hide, that skin has a very distinctive texture which includes tiny pebbling. It's cowhide, the texture can be a result of a tanning technique that allows shrinking to form the wrinkles, or as mentioned, it can be stamped with texture after tanning.

~Cheryl

Figtree3, komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted