Chair/Settee?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Sorry I’m advance for the limited photos. I’m wondering what one would call this. It’s large enough for two small people..but just barely. It looks like it’s been reupholstered but I’m unsure. Any info would be appreciated...as always.
    Thank You
    A5389A5B-052E-4C44-A5F9-6676DB58D886.jpeg 11D4949A-083C-429B-A8D0-23873ED81D4E.jpeg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Loveseat ca. 1900. walnut. Probably part of a parlor set, perhaps with a sofa, armchairs, and sidechairs.

3. Shwikman

Cool, thank you! Any thoughts on value considering it’s likely been reupholstered and/or refinished?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These days? In my area not much, unless someone reupholstered it in something funky. I like the carving.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, uh.....in my part of the U.S. midwest it's sadly not worth more than $100, probably half that at auction. Pretty piece.

6. Shwikman

That is kinda sad. I doubt you could buy the materials to build it for $100. I’m guessing it’s limited functionality probably isn’t helping.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. evelyb30

It could do better than that in New York if reupholstered in something funky/ethnic. It's small enough to fit in an apartment. Where the OP is... dunno.

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. evelyb30

That wood has to be walnut, and that carving wouldn't be cheap if you couldn't do it yourself.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, is sad but unfortunately that's the state of the market in victorian furniture these days unless museum quality.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted