Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Dave Mcnaught, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Dave Mcnaught

Dave Mcnaught Member

IMG_5568.JPG hi all ,
    new to the forum so looking forward to learning a bit. i have these 4 chairs and would like to find what age they are an if it would be worth getting restored.
    thanks
    dave

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1930s mass produced. Perfectly nice and useful,restore and use them.

3. Dave Mcnaught

Dave Mcnaught Member

Thankyou johny

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, welcome.

Dave Mcnaught likes this.
  5. Dave Mcnaught

Dave Mcnaught Member

Cheers

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. CJR

CJR New Member

Hi! Due to the bulbous Tudor turnings on the legs, your chairs appear to be English chairs made in Oak, and date circa early 30's to early 40's.

Take care and enjoy your chairs!

Any Jewelry and Dave Mcnaught like this.
  7. Dave Mcnaught

Dave Mcnaught Member

many thanks for the information.

8. Dave Mcnaught

Dave Mcnaught Member

any idea the best way to clean them up.
    cheers

9. CJR

CJR New Member

You're welcome! In regards to cleaning them up, have you ever used Restor-a-Finish? I use it a lot and it will blend in most scuffs and scratches, and will make the chairs really shine. Easy application, just wipe on and wipe off. It is excellent stuff and it is cheap. You can find it on Amazon, Ebay, or many shops where antiques are sold.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1930s dining chairs, dead easy to redo. Cut a piece of ply to shape, cover it with wadding and staple suitable fabric over it. Wipe them over with a damp cloth wrung out in water with a drop of washing up liquid. Buy a bottle of Scrath Cover in the right colour and that'll bring the colour back. You can get what look like magic markers which will do scratches, or use half a walnut.

this stuff: https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/renovators-for-wood/scratch-cover

Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Dave Mcnaught

Dave Mcnaught Member

i do actually have the seats but they do need recovering. cheers for the link

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh fine, that'll make it much easier. If you can't get Rustins, there's other makes of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted