Chalcographie Musee Du Louvre Help With Age Please

Discussion in 'Art' started by orrbobby, Aug 21, 2019.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!! Thrift store find. I have never heard of this type of engraving. So lower left it looks like maybe the engraver name ?? (Nicholls) very hard to read even under magnifying glass. Lower right looks like the title?? (Pre Faux Chapelle de L Gilles) again very hard to read even under magnification. Could someone please help identify and maybe approximate age ?? Thanks so much!! IMG_6233.JPG IMG_6234.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6238.JPG FullSizeRender (1).jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think it is S Gilles, St. Giles.

i need help and orrbobby like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The Louvre has a collection of original printing plates from up to hundreds of years ago. These plates are catalogued and people can order modern prints pulled from old plates. They are well done, but decorator pieces. So it's probably quite recent and not of great value. You may be able to find older versions of the same print online.

There's probably a Louvre watermark in the paper.

Chalcography is just a fancy name for copper plate prints.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Bronwen

5. orrbobby

Interesting, thank You so much.

6. orrbobby

7. Bronwen

Believe first letter is L; still can't make it out.

upload_2019-8-21_20-36-22.png

If we can nail the art work we'll find the artist.

8. orrbobby

I am sure you will!!! I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum. You people are amazing!! I am just getting started buying/selling/collecting and just can,t find the time right now to research the pieces I have accumulated. I am semi-retired and can,t wait to have the time to really dig in to this stuff. So, I really would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to you all.

9. Bronwen

A big You're welcome. :)

10. Bronwen

orrbobby and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. orrbobby

12. Bronwen

Excellent. Think you are probably correct. He was Marcel Duchamp's maternal grandfather & according to this site engravings of village scenes were one of his specialties. (Clicking the link in the first paragraph jumps you down to the relevant section.)

https://www.tombes-sepultures.com/crbst_1383.html#anchor-NicolleEmileFre

orrbobby and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted