Featured Chalk Ware Vases with Nudes for Handles

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brywil1970, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Posted this on pottery board but thought this might be a better place since it is not pottery. I have not seen anything like this pair before. What is your opinion?

TIA, Bryan

20150818_165707 (800x600).jpg

20150818_165717 (800x600).jpg

Tina, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Quite lovely. I think Pottery would still be a proper category.

aaroncab, *crs* and KingofThings like this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here are a few more listings, sales, that the sellers didn't know anything about the maker.

This one the seller is asking $95.00. At the bottom of the description, it says "I have been offered $150. I will take $185:"
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unique-Ar...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one with no longer the pic online presumably sold for $50.00 at an auction:
    https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDet...veau-Chalkware-Vase-With-Figural-Nude-Handles

Presumably sold for $175.00:
    http://www.the-forum.com/pottery/UNIQUE.HTM

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have seen these from time to time so think they must have been made in some quantity. I think there is a second variation of these but I can't quite think what it is off-hand. There are also lamps. Some have a more bronze-look finish than these. I have never seen them attributed to anyone but have to think they are an older import.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had a pair of chalkware bookends with a similar finish. They were indistinctly marked, but I thought the stamp said Made in Holland.

7. endrizzi

endrizzi New Member

Hi - I have one of these. The intact label on the bottom states" A copy from an original urn in the Naples Museum, same being reconstructed from fragments recently excavated in Pompeii. A rare design that will please the lover of art. Travertine-Compo Not being a kilned product, will not hold water, any of our ware damaged by this practice will not be honored by ... credit." CASTRUCCI'S STUDIO.

Any idea of the value? Mary M.

yourturntoloveit and Bronwen like this.
  8. endrizzi

endrizzi New Member

Hi - Trying again...I have one of these. Label on bottom says it's a repro of an urn in the Naples Museum. The original urn is from Pompeii. No water should be put in this repro because it is not kiln fired. Made at CASTRUCCI STUDIOS

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome Mary. If you check the dates on when this was first posted & received replies, you will see the conversation got dropped a long time ago. Even if the original poster does not get the benefit of your great info, many others of us will be glad to have seen it.

I'm the resident cameo expert. Many popular cameo images are based on frescoes found at Pompeii & Herculaneum, but I never would have guessed the original of this pot was from there.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

11. Bronwen

I don't see a message, just an empty box. Was there a photo perhaps?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

How very civil of you , Bronwen !
    Good on you !!
    ( I would have jumped on the fact that expecting an answer in under 6 minutes...on a 2 & 1/2 year old thread ....was...well....u no..)
    But I'm just grumpy today....so never mind......

Bronwen likes this.
  13. endrizzi

endrizzi New Member

Thanks for the information. If anyone has information about CASTRUCCI STUDIOS and the value of this particular chalkware urn, I would love to know. Thanks. Mary

yourturntoloveit and Bronwen like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is pretty much what the market will bear. Think I sold my lamp for around $150.00. Have seen them a couple hundred higher but don't know if they sold at that price. Vases have been seen priced as low as $45.00 and as high as $200.00 . Would think the lower end of this fairly realistic but your market will dictate value. What you can get in a big city will not play in Sticksville middle America.

15. Bronwen

I took that to mean that at the time she didn't see her first post, so did it again. Then both appeared. Happened to me just the other day.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Possible....but like I said...I was grumpy....

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted