Featured Chalkware Yelling Man 3D Face in Frame

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rastella, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Rastella

Rastella Everything is figureoutable.

Hi, all! I had a fun treasure hunting day yesterday. I wanted to show my chalkware find. The artist of this piece was incredibly gifted and my camera just couldn't catch all of the fine details of the face. He looks as though he is a street peddler or town crier, perhaps? This piece has some unusual features that I, myself, haven't seen in the normal carnival chalkware that I am use to seeing here in the US. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it isn't American carnival chalkware at all. The lady I bought it from came over from England when she got married. I think it might be an early English piece. The 5" x 3" picture frame is a two piece mold (I can see the mold lines); however, the face itself is done by hand. There are tool marks all over it. The black paint is oil based. It is my understanding that the older pieces were painted with oil based paints. He's in wonderful condition for his age with a few small flaws such as a small chip flake on the inside of his mouth. Any ideas or thoughts on this piece? Thank you!

Chalkware 3D Man Resized 1.jpg

Chalkware 3D Man Resized 2.jpg

Chalkware 3D Man Resized 3.jpg

Chalkware 3D Man 4.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome :) and GREAT photos of an interesting piece!

kristiaan, Any Jewelry and Rastella like this.
  3. Rastella

Thank you! I wasn't sure how my photos would look to others. I don't have the best of cameras, so your comment is very appreciated!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You don't need a high end camera, you need a good eye and insight in how to present things, and you clearly have both.:)
    The man could have been based on a caricature drawing, I can picture that in an early 20th century magazine. But others will know more.

pearlsnblume, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Rastella

Aww, thank you! I sincerely appreciate that! I should probably give a lot of credit to my daughter who professionally photographs babies. She taught me a few things which have evidently helped me maneuver the little camera I have.

6. KingofThings

Well tell her so for us. :)

7. Rastella

I absolutely will! She will enjoy hearing that!

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

He looks like a caricature of one of the 1940s movie stars. Just can't think which one. Plaster art was popular in the late 40s up through the 60s.

9. KingofThings

It's amazing what we often see here. :p
    ~
    You've done very well!
    ~
    Best rule is to think; 'If I were considering buying this item, any item, what would I want to see and know?'
    It's that simple. :)
    Then take good pics of details, give what info you can and ask for what you want to know. :)

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is it in a nutshell.

Rastella, judy and KingofThings like this.
  11. KingofThings

Thank you! :)
    ~
    As a nut...I appreciate your confidence in me. ;)

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I think the OP's little fellow is a tout!

14. KingofThings

HA!!!!
    As in nut or the TV show? :)

15. Rastella

I had to look up what tout meant and I think you're right. I just ran across this article from old and sold http://www.oldandsold.com/articles01/article456.shtml. In the article, I found this line enjoyable, "Later, in the early part of the 19th century, peddlers carried trays of plaster-of-Paris figures around the country and sold them on the streets of large cities. As early as 1808 a small book illustrated with quaint engravings, Cries of New York, includes the image peddler and his cry: "Images. very fine, very pretty."

Any Jewelry and KingofThings like this.
  16. Rastella

Hazel happens to be the color of my eyes. :D

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

Me too!
    Gold flecks..............sometimes. :)

Rastella likes this.
  18. Rastella

Also, I want to clarify something on my original comment, "In fact, I'm pretty sure that it isn't American carnival chalkware at all." I'm referring mainly to the "carnival" part as it doesn't have many of the same characteristics of the carnival era (bright colors, paint type, etc.). What makes me think it's earlier is the fact that the head and hat are carved by someone who was very talented. Hmmmm, salesman sample? Or did that even exist? Could be a crossover piece from England to America? Just some thoughts I'm saying out loud.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

I wouldn't expect that to be an actual carnival prize either but not impossible I suppose. :)

Rastella likes this.
  20. Rastella

True! :)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted