Featured Chamber Pot with Simple Red "M" Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barn Owl, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

This porcelain pot caught my eye today at the local thrift store. It was covered in dust and crazing, and as I stared at it, a vague light popped on in the back of my mind. I wasn't entirely certain it was a chamber pot, but I couldn't think of any other purpose for such a large pot, or why it would only have one handle. When I got home and did more research, I was pleased to find that it was likely a chamber pot after all! Still, one hour of research later, and the small blurred mark continues to perplex me. I can't seem to find it! I wonder, is it Minton? It's a red "M" and nothing else. Or a "W". I'm not sure.

The flowers decorating the pot appear to be hand-painted. There are also four small marks on the inside of the bowl. Kiln marks?

3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg thumbnail1.jpg thumbnail1 (2).jpg

judy, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Gee whizzzzzzz!!!!
    :wideyed:

3. Barn Owl

Haha, my same reaction. On one hand, I love Victorian aesthetics. On the other, I figure someone probably once used this...

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HEY!!!! We once had a collection of chamber pots AND a BRAND NEW, BUT Antique 3-holer.....put legs on it, and filled the STERILIZED potties up with chips N' snacks, then set them in the 3-holer!!! Was the "hit" of the barn parties we used to have!!!!!!! And NO, NO-ONE EVER tried to use them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobsyouruncle, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Haha! I was just imagining using it a soup tureen for a dinner. Maybe with chicken broth or black bean soup.
    That sounds great!

6. Aquitaine

HA HA HA!!!!! We were NOT THAT brave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smuggrin::joyful:

7. Aquitaine

OK, NOW to take our minds out of the "proverbial toilet" !!:hilarious::hilarious:

8. Barn Owl

Lmao! :hilarious: I'll try.

9. KingofThings

Can’t be a thing wrong with it now.
    I’d sit it out and check again.
    ;)

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

HI,
    I had one that was still in the original box. It had sweet peas all over it. I used it for soup for years. No one knew what it was since it only had one handle. The faces of people when they found out what it was PRICELESS!!!
    greg

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Just curious, in the first photo of the "m" mark, it looks like there is a partial printed mark under your hand. Is that just errant paint? It also occurs to me that instead of a letter that might possibly be a 3.

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes those are kiln marks, interesting to see this bowl was fired upside down!

Aquitaine, KingofThings and Barn Owl like this.
  13. Barn Owl

It's just some wear along the bottom rim. The M/W/3 is the only mark.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. KingofThings

Or an E? :)

Barn Owl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted