Chest of Drawers

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JANET LORENZEN, Aug 5, 2020.

1. JANET LORENZEN

JANET LORENZEN New Member

Hi
    Trying to see if this has any value. Handle pulls read: J.W.S.L. Rd. No 700527
    Thanks
    J

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-8-5_16-21-53.jpeg

sure it has value....just not much in today's market..

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. JANET LORENZEN

JANET LORENZEN New Member

Such as $?? I'm moving and posted this for $200 and received a ton of emails so I'm thinking I under-valued it, but cannot find anything online. thanks

4. komokwa

if u can get $200.........
    I'd suggest U take the money and run.....
    unless I'm missing something crucial...
    It's an average 1880 to 1920 English oak sideboard......of which a bazillion were made .....and many folks here have a hard time giving them away due to the depressed market on ' brown furniture..!

But........... I could be missing something.....soooooooo..

@Ghopper1924
    @verybrad
    @James Conrad

They'll know !!

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Tons of emails but no buyers.

I agree with Komo, English oak, it looks like its missing a gallery or mirror at the back.
    Can't sell em here.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Closer to 1920 than 1880.

Looks like our new furniture maven @komokwa has it nailed.

Take the $200 and run!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    judy, Aquitaine, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

That's the problem I'd say, until a buyer is found the $200 is just fantasy.

judy, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. komokwa

:happy::beaver::playful::playful::playful::hilarious::hilarious:

Thanx..! but Puleeese.....this one was easy......thanks to you guys !!!!:):):)

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is it recently refinished? Just has that look.....simple, nice, clean!!! If someone will come get it and give you the cash, great deal!!!

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

About the only sideboards that I see at auction that consistently do well price-wise are 19th-century southern "hunt boards". They are small, mostly utilitarian, attractive and fit well into modern spaces.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't really add anything here. Agree with English oak circa 1920.

12. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

I don't know in what country this sideboard is located but because there are a few "English Oak" guesses I first thought it'd be somewhere in the British Isles. However, seeing the $-sign later, of course it could be in the U.S., or Canada or elsewhere where dollars are used. Cutting my guesses to the chase, let's say it's in the U.S. of A., where I am too now.

A sideboard with no less than three drawers in real wood, oak, is a bargain at two-hundred bucks! Try buying a new chest of drawers, or a sideboard for that matter, for twohundred in a new store. Drawer furniture are at a premium for storage alone. And most new furniture are cr-p, with thin wood veneers or plastic imitation wood surfaces that scuff easily and/or start peeling without anyone even going near them. And you'd be hardpressed to find anything decent in a 3-drawer piece for 200.

I would not sell it as an antique but as a utilitarian piece of furniture. I have bought 100% of my useful storage pieces as used furniture, i e quasi-antiques. How antique I didn't care, I needed the drawer space!

That some of them turned out to be pretty good investments later was plain luck. This piece is MCM rosewood, and has five very good drawers. It's now in our BR whereas at that house it was in the diningroom, it's versatile. Pardon the darkness; couldn't bring it up any closer from this old photo.
    midcent-chest-rosewood-5drw.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted