Chest of draws ID

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Reuben, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Reuben

Reuben New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Hi everyone

first post so please be kind.

I have this chest of draws I inherited from my late father. Iv never been interested in selling it because I have always liked it but the time has now come.

Would anyone be so kind to tell me when it might have been made? And maybe a guess what it might be worth?

Thankyou
    Reuben

Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  2. Reuben

Reuben New Member

Attached Files:

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

You don't say where you or the chest is located nor provide any photos of construction details so where/when made and value is gonna be tough.
    The style of the chest is Hepplewhite.

5. Reuben

Reuben New Member

Thankyou James

I will provide more photos this evening and I am located in Cornwall, England

judy likes this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Any makers name stamped on brass locks?

judy likes this.
  7. Reuben

Reuben New Member

2E2185AA-F0D1-41B5-82B6-6266DE950F5D.jpeg 93A83A78-F5AB-4E74-9E55-05B99687BC05.jpeg 490063DD-BE77-4A3F-8E4E-48FB2CAEF4F7.jpeg 650D440D-9E21-4870-89C4-F744005C7C27.jpeg No marks on the back of the locks at all.

here are some more pictures, sorry about the dust.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
    judy likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

How lovely. Pity you have to part with it. For some reason I thought it might be American? Id guess 1820s ? Im no expert though.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  9. James Conrad

It's an English chest but Hepplewhite was BIG here in America during our Federal period. (1790-1830)
    I would guess OP chest is a revival piece, 1880 or so and not a period georgian chest (1780). There was a very popular revival of Hepplewhite in England in the late 19th C. I have no clue what the value would be there.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  10. Reuben

Reuben New Member

Thank you for all the replies, I’m getting excited when the notifications come up.

It really is great to hear about the history

judy, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

Hepplewhite was a very private guy and not a self-promoter like say a Thomas Chippendale or Duncan Phyfe. After he died his wife gathered a large body of his neoclassical designs and published a book that served as a catalyst for later Hepplewhite revivals that continue even today in both England & America.
    He is regarded as one of the "Big 3" along with Chippendale & Sheraton.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Reuben

Reuben New Member

Thankyou James.

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I see no reason to conclude this is late 19th century instead of late 18th.

The construction is consistent with cock-beaded solid mahogany drawers being made in England in the late 18th to early 19th century, whereas late 19th would be more likely to have mahogany veneer. The dovetails are consistent with english work of the earlier period. Sufficient missing cock-beading to indicate substantial age. The drawer pulls look like they have not been replaced. Oak secondary wood looks right. Drawer sides look to have reasonable wear. Back seems to have wide boards and properly dark with age. The only part that looks like it could be replaced is the legs, which we would expect more wear on - but they may be fine if looked at closely.

I would recommend not doing anything until it has been looked at more closely. You could look for someone locally (it is always easier to judge age and repairs in person rather than in pics). Or you could take more pics to better pinpoint the date.

Regardless, but especially if it is indeed late 18th, then you really shouldn't sell it unless you have even better pieces. This piece is much better than most of the ones posted on this site. Especially given it is a family piece. Every one needs at least one dresser, don't they? The dresser we can partially see standing next to it is a far inferior piece and should be disposed of long before this one. Besides better pictures to help pinpoint the date more firmly, maybe quick pics of any dressers you are thinking of keeping INSTEAD of this one. You won't get what it is worth if you sell this one, and you will never get back a family piece, so better to keep it if you can (in my opinion).

judy, komokwa, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  14. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

My mind first said 1820s.

It's a nice piece you could ANYWHERE. A bedroom, closet, hall, dining room, living room..

And I also fear you may regret selling it, unless you have no heirs and it's just come to that point in life.

It's a lovely piece!

15. Reuben

Reuben New Member

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Much appreciated.

I’m very much enjoying hearing your thoughts and knowledge.

I can absolutely post more pictures if you can tell me what to photograph. Apologies for my naivety.

I don’t need to part with it as such but if I was to keep it it would probably be in the garage and not respected as it should be.

thanks again everyone

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's far too nice for a garage. I don't know all that much about furniture, but the metallurgist's daughter in me figures those original brasses and the hardware are worth a good bit on their own. The metal work is better than anything we see now. They were made by a metalworker who knew what he was doing.

judy, johnnycb09 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Reuben, lovely piece and a very useful form. Who doesn't need a chest of drawers? Can't you use it?

judy likes this.
  18. James Conrad

I would clean it up & wax it & perhaps have your local dealer/auction house take a look to confirm what the date of the chest actually is.
    Photos are notorious for missing details easily seen in person, much better to have examined in person.
    Don't be surprised if the value is low, antique furniture is down at the moment price-wise with some exceptions, outstanding example, historical figure owned it, famous cabinetmaker built it, etc.

judy likes this.
  19. James Conrad

20. James Conrad

One final point, CONDITION! it's a big deal usually with antique furniture and almost always plays a big part in value. Your chest has some condition issues.
    The cock beading is missing on the entire RH side of the drawer fronts.
    There is damaged/missing veneer on the lower left drawer blade.
    The left bracket foot has separated at the miter.

Draft saved Draft deleted