Featured Cheval mirror ( Queen Anne 19 th century revival??)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marzena, May 16, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I hope I'm not spamming you too much. I collected this cheval mirror yesterday, I thought that in a price of new IKEA furniture it will be better to have something with a history behind, in the description there was only, that this is late 19th century, is it? Or maybe it is from 20th? Forgive me for my being a layman, but I still cannot differentiate types of wood, I need more experience, and this is just my beginning of this amazing journey. Is it mahogany or walnut or something else? And I've noticed, that this is veneer on? Thank you in advance for your time and advices. 20190516_111136-01_compress49.jpg 20190516_110846-01_compress25.jpg 20190516_110751-01_compress55.jpg 20190516_110904_compress5.jpg 20190516_110702_compress90.jpg 20190516_110944_compress57.jpg 20190516_110729_compress1.jpg 20190516_110910_compress93.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 20th century … Hard to say when exactly. Anywhere from teens - 30s, I should think. Wood is a mahogany veneer with non-descript solids stained to match.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It could be just the angle of the photo, but I think 1 finial needs adjusting or it may break as is leaning.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

There was a small Victorian revival in the 1920s. I suspect that this mirror dates from that time. Interpretations of Victorian wood carving tended to be flatter and less "academic." This is an unusual piece but not terribly valuable.

5. Marzena

Yeah, I've noticed it, you have a good eye !

scoutshouse, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Marzena

Thank you people, again -). I've just thought it may be younger piece looking at the top, is pretty flat. Anyway, the value isn't so important, I am glad to have something older than a few decades, and I like it :)

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Marzena, the thing about pieces like your cheval mirror is that they have PERSONALITY - something that the current IKEA stuff very sadly lacks.

"Value" be damned - it is rather exciting to have something that not everyone else has in their home! I'd be more than happy to give that mirror floor space!

8. Marzena

Yeah, this is the clue. But from the other side, good to know the value to not overpay, although as an artist I am not in a danger of overpaying ;-))

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Nice looking mirror.
    I would have said early 19teens to 20s.

About buying old furniture.
    You have to ask yourself:
    Do I like it?
    Does it fit my needs?
    Will it blend with what I have? (Things do not have to match)
    Is it in a price point I can afford and I'm willing to spend? (Sometimes we have to pass things up if too expensive - and then there are other times we spend way too much, simply because we love what we see and we may not find another).

Not everything has to be of the same period. Not everything has to be a bargain (although hopefully it is).

10. Marzena

Yes, totally agree). At that moment ( and this is my very beginning) I've got few different furnitures with different design, just because I loved them, and they fit perfectly one to another somehow). And I've just started learnt how to let it go sometimes ( although when I find this perfect mirror, I swear, I will overpay this time - I let go three beauties in a row, and this was too much))

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. Marzena

Oh, this one there is beautiful, and this giltwood ornament, lovely piece!

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

pssst, don't. it's French. :) and they call it Psyché. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Marzena likes this.
  14. Marzena

I am curious about etymology, will have to find more, it's pretty interesting -)

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

greek mythology. Psyché was a very beautiful princess and Aphrodite was jealous; so she sent Eros to abuse her, but he fell under her spell. after passing many tests in the end Zeus promotes her to the rank of godess.
    or something similar :), those old Greeks were randy all day long.

Marzena likes this.
  16. Marzena

I am aware of Greek mythology ( especially this including jungian connotations) well, putting those question I was rather curious about historical references: who, when and why called this kind of mirror psyche ( I know they were popular in empire period, but nothing else)

Draft saved Draft deleted