Featured Chevron Beads from Indonesian Borneo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Toba, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Toba

Toba Active Member

I thought I would post something cool I have that I can actually identify. Here's the story: in 1991 I made an epic journey through Indonesia from one end (Irian Jaya) to almost the other (E. Java). I hitched a ride in a missionary plane to the center of Borneo (East Kalimantan) and took a long boat to the Apo Kayan area, where the Dayak people still lived very traditional lives. Anyway, a boat driver liked my watch and wanted to trade some of his family's beads for it. The watch was a Seiko, not cheap, not expensive. I thought what the hell. So the boat stopped at his village and he took out a little box from the floorboards with about fifty Chevron beads in it - he said I could choose 6. I used to wear them all the time. Now, I'm afraid I'll lose them so I keep them hanging on the wall.
    IMG_20181110_073404972~3.jpg

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kyratango, i need help, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Toba

Toba Active Member

You're right, Chevron is the wrong term.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great story, and good deal, I think.
    I don't think the attribution of the beads in the link is correct. The decoration is applied rather than layered and ground, like they would be in European chevron beads.
    The style is like Middle Eastern, Egyptian or East Javanese trade beads, which could also mean a greater age.

kyratango, Pat P, i need help and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

I would have demanded a nice blade for the watch.....but that's just me ! ;):rolleyes:

( btw...toba was my fathers mothers name..:).)

6. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Toba,
    I just love the beads and especially your story. They must have a huge sentimental and lifeforce value to you. It amazes me how sometimes it is the small things we collect in life that carry such value.
    I have also collected beads during my travels and wear them every day. None as spectacular or as beautiful as yours, but they have huge personal meaning to me. I almost always buy a pair when I am emotionally or energetically attracted to a special place. Nothing as valuable or as special as yours though.
    I have occasionally seen similar beads in the local secondhand markets in Thailand, Myanmar and Laos. I thought they were just modern copies, but I will now look much closer on my next trip. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

My beads: Top is a ming necklace bead, then going left and right (to make the pair); Nanjing China; Ta Ton Monastery on Thai/Myanmar border where I taught conversational English to novice monks; 2 each from Nan Tien Temple Australia where I stayed; Nan Lian Gardens Hong Kong; jade from Myanmar; Hill Tribe market Thailand; and a single tigers eye from a monastery where I stayed in Vietnam.

IMG_0211.jpeg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous AuD, and evocative of such great and very personal memories. Thank you for showing us.

8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ. Special to me...not the world. :)

9. Toba

Toba Active Member

Hi, AuDragon. Thanks for the response. We've probably been to some of the same markets. I went to Laos many times but never had much luck there. Believe it or not, rural Thailand was always a great place to search for beads back in the day. I also collected Thai amulets at one time and had over 200 before I gave them away. Here are some odds and ends I just took a picture of: the brown patterned one are "pyu" I think they're called, from Tachilek, Myanmar (copies I'm sure) / the green one I found in Thailand, wish I knew more about it/ the black and tourquoise glass beads I posted in another thread (love these so much)/ the inlaid one I found in Ladakh/ and the ceramic one is from Malaysia ( wish I could date this one too.) Most of these I found more than twenty years ago. I get the feeling there's not much real stuff left out there anymore. The exception might be Penang, Malaysia. If you ever go, visit the flea market at Lorong Kulit. I still find neat stuff there...
    IMG_20181111_093626995~31.jpg IMG_20181111_091304134~2.jpg

10. They are also known as rosetta beads - most likley Murano in origin - the blue red and white as we see being the most common colourway seen in them

i need help likes this.
  11. Oops sorry - was looking at the blue bead Komokwa posted - rather than the original post so above post relates to that

i need help likes this.
  12. komokwa

well at least you liked my pic !! :hilarious:

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted