Featured Child size violin, looks old? Anyone know violins?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Graymich64, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Graymich64

Graymich64 Well-Known Member

I found a couple of these violins They are both similar. Here are pictures of one of them. At first I thought they were imitation violins made to look old, then when I took a closer look I realized they are actually old. I think. Any information helpful. Thanks! IMG_9339 (1).JPG IMG_9344.JPG IMG_9342 (1).JPG IMG_9347.JPG IMG_9349.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can you see labels through the f holes? All_Fakes is rarely here on the weekend - in fact it might actually be never - so don't expect him to comment until tomorrow or Tuesday.

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

interesting things, they look totally hand made

actually made for playing looking at the construction, not decorational

as they even have the sound posts inside

their very charming, and look old as well

i take it they tune ok, strings tighten when pegs at top are turned ?

5. Graymich64

There are no labels that I can see. The first one I posted has some pencil writing inside. I can make out Ventura, CA 1968. There is some kind of name or address above that. Not sure if that is a maker or someone who restored at one time. Looks older than 1968 to me, but I am no expert. Here are a couple of photos of the other one. They look like they have both been played, so probably not just ornamental. IMG_9350.JPG IMG_9351.JPG IMG_9352.JPG

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Definitely looks hand made.....I think they are really neat too! Have you taken them anywhere for anyone to look at??

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

if its not tuning properly, the pegs need to be pressed inwards more, so they are in tight, then it should tune properly

the bridge is missing, but they are easy to replace, as they are floating, and not fixed

is it possible to get a close up of the back of the neck, which will show if its had a lot of play or not

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  8. Graymich64

Here are a couple of photos of the back of the neck. There is definitely a different color in the wood there, maybe from use. I have not tried to tune them. I know nothing about musical instruments. It probably needs new strings. IMG_9353.JPG IMG_9354.JPG

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

There’s something “crude” about them, some of the construction methods don’t really jive with the norm. They do look old, that’s for sure. If I had to guess I’d say they were child’s violins(or toy violins)made by a woodworker who was not a violin maker.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Did you mention the dimensions? The ruler would indicate total length around a foot - that is very small, even for a child; would be classed as a 1/16 size, or so. I'd call them more novelty items than actual violins, the sort of thing a woodworker might make, just to show he could make something playable at that size.
    The significant detail is that these are very crudely made. For sure not a violin-maker, but an amateur. It is possible that they could be played, certainly, but I wouldn't expect them to sound very good, or have much value, beyond decorative.
    1968 sounds like a reasonable date.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, all_fakes has this exactly right. These are not really "violins" in a musical sense, probably made by a woodworker hobbyist as decorator type items. I know a fair bit about violins as i won a scholarship to a conservatory playing one when i was 17.

Figtree3, cxgirl, Shwikman and 3 others like this.
  12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I've been playing violins since I was 12, but no scholarships.

i need help, cxgirl, Shwikman and 2 others like this.
  13. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

I play a really large violin.

Actually, double basses aren’t large violins, violins are tiny basses.
    E6FEE290-5FFD-4E0E-9B7B-6A1EBD4159D2.jpeg

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

15. charlie cheswick

crude - yes, hobbyist - probably yeah

but i think made with a necessity to play rather than look good

you can see where the bridge has been and played under high string tension

look at the strong twisted cable holding the tailpiece

i would definitely have bought them, as they might have a story to tell

god knows what they sound like though, might be a pleasant surprise

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    all_fakes, kyratango and Shwikman like this.
  16. charlie cheswick

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:joyful::joyful::)

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted