Featured Childs silver cup, bowl, and plate

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wcubed, Dec 7, 2019.

1. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

These actually were my grandfathers, who was born in 1910. I have very little handed down from that side of the family. All are engraved with his name George. It's been a while since I've had them out of the cabinet. They are in need of a good polishing again.

silver trio 1.jpg

The cup features circus animals from a childrens book of that era. Does anyone know the name of the characters or book. I was going to buy the book to keep with the cup, and actually stopped at an antiquarian book store years ago to buy one and they had just sold it. I never did get around to looking further, and have since forgotten the name. Should have written it down!

The cup is marked C.D. Peacock on the bottom. 2 5/16 inches high. It was obviously banged around quite a bit by my grandfather.

silver cup front 1.jpg silver cup left 1.jpg silver cup right 1.jpg silver cup bottom 1.jpg

The silver bowl and plate are quite heavy, and thick, compared to the cup. They are marked Tiffany&Co.

The bowl is 2 1/8 inches high and 4 7/8 inches across.

silver bowl 1.jpg silver bowl bottom 1.jpg

The plate measures 7 7/16 inches across.

silver plate 1.jpg silver plate bottom 1.jpg

Figtree3, Phelim, J Dagger and 6 others like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Acid etched design with hand engraved name.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Sweet family heirloom!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.:)

J Dagger, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

I didn't know silver was acid etched. Interesting.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The top-hatted rabbit is similar to Uncle Wiggily but his stories weren't published until a bit later.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

8. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard of Uncle Wiggily. This childrens book was something else, and had a whole cast of characters.

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

The Jungle Book? The Wind in the Willows? Alice in Wonderland?

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

It was a book about animals in a circus.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hence the elephant.

Debora

wcubed likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They do look familiar... Haven't been able to dredge up any memories yet. Probably an expert on antique children's books could help.

wcubed and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

wcubed and Figtree3 like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Apparently George was born to more than a silver spoon.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Baby cups used to bring good money.
    Yours is really Nice.
    Lots of kitties.

You should really think about writing everything you know about your grandfather and pass at least the cup down through your grandchildren.

Bronwen, wcubed, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  17. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

I meant to reply to this earlier, but I've been heavily distracted by life the past couple days.

I've already passed down a few items to my older son. Both sons know there is more on the way. I sincerely doubt they will ever want all of it. My wife and I make sure we write their latest address in pencil, because we know it will change. The youngest isn't in a position to take anything yet, as he hasn't settled down yet.

As for my grandfather on that side of the family, he died when I was still a teenager so I don't have a lot of memories of him, mostly as he was in Florida while I was in N.H. and didn't see him often. My dad would be in a better position to do that, he has already done extensive genealogy on both sides of the family.

18. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Oh, and thank you all for the links to other examples of the cup. I couldn't find any.

19. Shamus

Shamus New Member

I have a cup that is VERY similar to the George one above. Except my cup has a different handle and the animals are in different positions. My rabbit is on the left side of the handle and I don't have a pig on a bike next to the bear. Only a monkey hanging from a trapeze. Was allegedly purchased at Tiffany's in 1928. But it doesn't have a Tiffany stamp. states sterling with the numbers 1482. There are 3 figure stamps. I can only figure out the middle one and its a anchor. Possibly a Gorham stamp.

Could it possibly be, many silver companies made this design, only slightly different design and handle??

Any info would be helpful.

bercrystal likes this.
  20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. It would be better if you could start a new thread and upload photos of your pieces including any marks.

If you need help with posting photos please check out this thread...

Here are instructions to upload your photos, please be sure to click "Full Size" on the little thumbnails, once loaded and before hitting "post":
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

A quick tip on posting photos if you are using a smart phone. . .email them to yourself as 'medium' and it should resize them. Photos have to be under 1MB to post.

Draft saved Draft deleted