Chimayo Rug Blanket?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bogtrotten, May 8, 2021.

1. bogtrotten

bogtrotten Active Member

Thanks for looking, hoping to get some thoughts on this blanket. I believe it to be a Chimayo weaving. IMG_3662.JPG IMG_3668.JPG ROT04661.JPG Also hoping to get some thoughts on the age, measures 25x57. Regards Joe

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree-Chimayo IMO and has age. Wait for others but I’d guess mid century.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

(Sorry I've been having computer problems, and was unable to answer sooner.)

Unfortunately, this is not a Chimayo weaving. (And for those who don't already know, Chimayo weaving is Hispanic, not Mexican or Native American. It is named for the village of Chimayo in northern New Mexico, which has been a center of Hispanic weaving, dating back to the 1600s.)

Chimayo weaving is done on horizontal floor looms, has fringe on both ends. and a wool yarn warp. The weaving done here is totally unlike that of a Chimayo textile. The weavers from Chimayo never use decorative stripes like those outlined by the white, which has been embellished with black yarn. It is not a technique used, nor is the stitching on the center motif, where there is a sharp, distinct, line between adjoining colors. It actually appears to be a non-interlocking stitch, or slit stitch, like those found on Middle Eastern kilims, but I can't tell for sure from the photos.

I have no idea what has been done to the ends, but Chimayo weaving should have fringe, as I said, and are never hemmed.

It does appear handmade, but it is definitely not Chimayo, or Native American, the two areas I am most familiar with.

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

TY Tapou!

judy likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Do you think Mexican?

judy likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Apparently the computer problems are not all fixed. I answered, and hit Post Reply, in response to reader, only to get a message an hour later that I needed to sign in, and had posts pending which would disappear if I didn't. Which I then did. Again.

At the risk of repeating myself, in case the post shows up, I'll just say "probably not Mexican," and wait until tomorrow to see if it appears.

judy and reader like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Good luck with your computer.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted